Natwest won't refund!

Options
I have a high level of debt, long story but basically between us, hubby and I have 4 maxed out overdrafts, 3 loans and 2 maxed out credit cards.

Hubby works full time, me part time (we have a child) and we are scrimping to try to repay debts.

Natwest have been lumping charges on for going over our overdrafts /credit cards and they amount to £162 of charges. Doesn't sound like much but it's now every month as we can't afford to pay them back.

Wrote to them and they told me that they didn't agree with me and that they considered the charges fair as per the supreme court ruling in 2009 so they would not be refunding anything.

What should I do?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like you made a complaint about unfair bank charges. That was a mistake. The banks won that argument in court. So, they automatically reject complaints from people claiming charges are unfair.

What you should have done (and can still ask them to reconsider) is if you meet their financial hardship criteria. Put your finances to them, tell them what defaults/arrears you have. Make sure your statements dont include any luxury spending (like sky tv, mobile phones etc) and break down your expenditure so they can see you are living on the breadline or in a cycle of charges you cannot escape and if they agree, they will come up with a solution.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should probably contact one of the debt help charities so they can arrange a debt management plan. Those often come with things such as suspension of some charges or interest and agreed repayment amounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure