Simple question about council tax bands

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
1 reply 692 views
bclarkbclark Forumite
882 Posts
at least I hope its a simple question.

If my house is identical should I be in the same band as my neighbours? I have just bought a house on a new build estate and I have just had a letter through giving me a banding of F.

As with most new build estates they are building 5 different house types all over the estate so I can easily compare my house like for like and all of the other houses on the street that are identical to mine are Band E, the other houses that have been put in F are the two more expensive ones than mine.

Is this a simple case of mis-banding or could something come into it like I paid a couple of thousand more for my house (I don't know if I did) so I sneaked into another band?

I have rang the VOA but just got told I would get a callback by Monday afternoon and I am a bit worried as its quite a jump from E to F.


  • edited 30 August 2013 at 3:02PM
    lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 30 August 2013 at 3:02PM
    Usually estate houses of the same type should be in the same band, unless for example the builders have a "MSE" detached and a "MSE" semi-detached. In this case a higher band for the detached would be understandable.

    It is probably an error.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News