Problems getting a Dr's appointment

Options

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Obviously this is not right, but if you need your meds do you know anybody who goes to a better practice that you could go to as a 'visitor'?
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    she has had her meds stopped so that she can see a doctor if her gps is not available i am pretty sure there are doctors in the hospital her notes will all be available to the doctors and so they can also make a reasonable decision

as people may have noticed i gave a and e as one of many options as it is an option if she still cannot get to see her gp and is still not having potentially very important medication

I saw a doctor other than my own GP yesterday morning in the same surgery, he read my notes when I asked him question about a less serious issue and said he felt I needed to return to see my own GP. I see a lot of doctors sadly, and am always surprised how things that are uploaded instantly seem impossible for them to find or access for them, especially in a and e. I have often had to walk and talk them through my notes and medical situation.

This is a very serious issue, and needs medical advice certainly.

But it is also a basic administrative failure, that op cannot comply with a request given. The practise manager really should be the first port of call and it should be considered very important by OP. if she cannot speak to the practise manger for some reason (say the practise manager is away) she can ask to speak to her GP's secretary. The secretary might well see the ridiculousness of the situation and arrange for the GO to call OP or come in at the end of surgery. However, I would be doin get his in person at the surgery and refusing, very politely, to leave until the situation was resolved.

I'd be doing that on the basis of an arrival by dr mark porter, which I bet has caused him no end of grief since.

Bullet point five in the link below

http://drmarkporter.co.uk/an-insiders-guide-to-getting-the-most-out-of-your-gp-surgery-2/
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^^ Thanks for that link lostinrates, a lot of good advice on there!
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Isn't there a neighbour who would pick up the tablets for you?

No, not really. My immediate neighbours are elderly (one is 90 and the other side they are in their 80's). Out of the others neighbours I am friendly with, one has a young baby and the others all work.

barbiedoll wrote: »
    OP, do you know why your GP will only give you a week's supply of your pain medication? Is it because it is a controlled drug or because it can be addictive (for example)?

I know it doesn't help you now but when you do eventually see your GP, tell him that it is very difficult for you to obtain prescriptions on a weekly basis and that you need him to give you a script for a month's supply or even for a fortnight at a time. After all, if he was that worried about your meds, he would insist on actually seeing you every week, he wouldn't just issue a new script!

My GP said a pack of tablets for a week was X amount of money (can't remember the amount) but if he gave me a prescription for more the pharmacy would give bigger packs which, according to him, make each tablet more than 4 times as expensive.

I did say why not write on the prescription for the pharmacy to give the smaller packs but he said they wouldn't do that and it would cost the NHS too much!

It's a good job I have one of those prescription cards where I pay £10 or so a month as otherwise it would be costing me a fortune
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    ^^ Thanks for that link lostinrates, a lot of good advice on there!

You are very welcome.

I really feel if we all heeded it more (respected that not all our problems are urgent, but some might be not urgent but time sensitive) yet also demanded a better level of service from our GPs while being fair and respecting these patient guideline we'd be moving toward a situation where we could demand more vociferously a better provision of This level of NHs care.

As someone who really hates doctors and goes far too much for pleasure I am fascinated to watch the way people use the services (at least in the waiting and less private areas) and feel frustrated often.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    Ask to speak to the practice manager.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    You can get post dated prescriptions, our GP told us about an arrangement that if you go to a designated pharmacy they could give you 6 months of prescriptions all at once.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    daisiegg wrote: »
    Ergh, I do feel for you, it is a stupid system :( my surgery has NO pre-bookable appointments. You have to phone on the day, speak to a receptionist, wait for a doctor to call you back and decide whether you deserve an appointment or not. I have an issue that I really ought to see a doctor about that has been going on for ages and I just keep putting it off because that system is so impractical...if I could book an appointment in advance, even if it was a month away, that would be absolutely fine for my non-urgent problem - but I can't lose a day waiting for a phone call and then being told a random time to come in, all for a non-urgent problem :(

I hope you get your medication sorted soon and don't feel too unwell in the meantime :(

We have a similar system and once the doctor has rung back, you can ask for an appointment on another day if you can't get to the surgery the same day. It might be worth checking if you surgery does the same and if not, to suggest it to the practice manager.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I have actually managed to get an appointment today. Started ringing on the dot of 8am, three times got a message that the surgery was closed and then fourth through to reception. Even that quick she said "Oh think all appointments have gone". I was just getting ready to have a go when she said "oh no, there's one for 5pm".

I am going to speak to my Dr to see if I can get more than a week's prescription as I am finding it difficult to keep going to surgery and pharmacy with my health problems
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    My GP has a great system where three mornings and two afternoons a week they do a drop in surgery. No appointments, you just queue. If you get there for 8.30 you'll be seen dead on 9.30. (Any later and you could still be waiting at 11).

They also do bookable appointments but usually within a fortnight.

(:rotfl: Just realised what I said! Not literally dead, spot on dead!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure