Problems getting a Dr's appointment

Options
I take medication for severe migraines, depression and fibromylgia. My GP will only give me 1 week's medication at a time for the fibromylgia which is a pain anyway as I have to keep remembering to request a prescription (have a bad memory) and if OH is not around I have to walk to Dr and home which, although not that far, if I am having a bad day is a real struggle especially as it is uphill.

Last Monday when I collected my prescription I was told I could not have any more tablets until I had seen a Dr. Fine, so I asked to make an appointment to be told the next bookable appointment was 4 weeks time (obviously no good with only 1 week's medication).

Anyway I phoned Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, both times taking ages to get through, only to be told there were no appointments left for either of those days. Thursday and Friday I had a bad migraine and could not even get out of bed let alone to the surgery.

Monday was a Bank Holiday so surgery not open and I have now run out of tablets. Yesterday and today phoned surgery (today took 44 attempts before I got through!) to be told, yes you've guessed it, no appointments left.

I explained the position to the receptionist but all she said was "well you'll have to try again tomorrow". What a truly stupid system
The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie

Comments

• alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to argue the hell out of it and insist the doctor calls you back.

Don't take no for an answer.

The doctor will then speak to you and arrange a time for you to come in if it is important, which it sounds like it is.

You'll usually find that they have a slot the same afternoon.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Could you not go in and demand an appointment?

I'd write to your local MP, as 4 weeks for an appointment is ridiculous!

Do you have a hospital drop in centre or similar that might help?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    Ergh, I do feel for you, it is a stupid system :( my surgery has NO pre-bookable appointments. You have to phone on the day, speak to a receptionist, wait for a doctor to call you back and decide whether you deserve an appointment or not. I have an issue that I really ought to see a doctor about that has been going on for ages and I just keep putting it off because that system is so impractical...if I could book an appointment in advance, even if it was a month away, that would be absolutely fine for my non-urgent problem - but I can't lose a day waiting for a phone call and then being told a random time to come in, all for a non-urgent problem :(

I hope you get your medication sorted soon and don't feel too unwell in the meantime :(
  • Pinkdebster
    Options
    They should be able to give you a prescription for enough tablets to last until THEY can fit you in!!! I have the same problem with my surgery - too many patients and not enough Doctors!

In a similar situation, where I have had to wait a week or two to see the Dr that they have requested, they have issued me with an interim prescription with enough tablets to last me until I see said Dr.

Maybe see if they can do something similar? Good luck x
  • sedment
    sedment Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    Is there anyway you could get in touch with your chemist and see if they would do an emergency supply for you?? Have heard of that being done if people have ran out of regular medicine. As far as the doctors appointments, when you phone tomorrow, if they say no appointments, then request a home visit. If they say its not possible, then ask for the receptionists name and the name of the practice manager and tell them there will be a letter in the post, as well as a letter to the local health authority. Not sure it used to be the care commision? Hopefully it will get sorted for you x
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    I take medication for severe migraines, depression and fibromylgia. My GP will only give me 1 week's medication at a time for the fibromylgia which is a pain anyway as I have to keep remembering to request a prescription (have a bad memory) and if OH is not around I have to walk to Dr and home which, although not that far, if I am having a bad day is a real struggle especially as it is uphill.

Can you order new medicines online? Some surgeries do that now.

If not, have you looked at the services your chemist offers. Ours will deliver prescriptions to you and take your repeat prescription forms to the surgery for you.

Has your GP suggested a referral to a Pain Clinic?
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I am going to phone tomorrow and if I can't get an appointment I am going to put my foot down and insist something is sorted out for me.

I am not the sort of person to make a fuss but it's just a joke and the receptionist is no help at all.

If they had given me enough warning about seeing a Dr I could have just made a bookable appointment.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • an9i77
    an9i77 Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd change doctors if I were you - if that's not an option I'd be making a complaint to the practice manager.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I am going to phone tomorrow and if I can't get an appointment I am going to put my foot down and insist something is sorted out for me.

I am not the sort of person to make a fuss but it's just a joke and the receptionist is no help at all.

If they had given me enough warning about seeing a Dr I could have just made a bookable appointment.

I think you're quite right to make a fuss in this situation. Depending on what your meds are, stopping and starting them may not be advisable. As the GP has decided you need the tablets, he/she should make sure you can get an uninterrupted supply.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Can you order new medicines online? Some surgeries do that now.

If not, have you looked at the services your chemist offers. Ours will deliver prescriptions to you and take your repeat prescription forms to the surgery for you.

Has your GP suggested a referral to a Pain Clinic?

I can order the prescription online but I have to go and pick it up at the Dr's. They will send it to the pharmacy but as that is only two doors away it is no saving for me.

The pharmacy is a small local one and they don't do deliveries.

No, my Dr has never suggested a pain clinic. I was only diagnosed with fibromylgia last year although I think I had it for several years before that but not that badly. I was forever going to the Dr complaining of various symptoms which eventually they decided was fibromylgia.

For about the last 6 months the symptoms have got worse although the tablets do help (the warm weather has helped too).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure