PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making a list of ways to save money

Options

Comments

• The_Thrilla
    The_Thrilla Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    Options
    Choose a spouse/partner/whatever who is the same size that you are. That way you can share each other's jeans, leather jackets etc.

I'll bet none of you have thought of that one!
  • Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2013 at 4:38PM
    Options

-this doesn't actually save you money I don't think,but consider setting up an emergency fund within your budget.it can be a 'life-saver' for any unexpected bills etc.

-like you say,think of needs not wants,but maybe have a small treats fund for the odd magazine/coffee.It's great to be in control of your finances and save money,but we're human beings,not machines.

-if you have a blip,try not to let it bring you down.Nobody's perfect.

I hope that these ideas are of use to you.I'll try and read the whole thread later.

Really like those three but try these as well...

• Use your local library if you have one for free reading matter or car boot sales for cheap books / cds / dvds.
    • Consider get a bike for those local journeys.
    • If you must draw out cash from a Cashpoint, try using one that dispenses £5.00 notes.
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• marmiterulesok
    Options
    Really like those three but try these as well...

• Use your local library if you have one for free reading matter or car boot sales for cheap books / cds / dvds.
    • Consider get a bike for those local journeys.
    • If you must draw out cash from a Cashpoint, try using one that dispenses £5.00 notes.

Some good ideas there,thanks.
  • pricew1970
    pricew1970 Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Choose a spouse/partner/whatever who is the same size that you are. That way you can share each other's jeans, leather jackets etc.

I'll bet none of you have thought of that one!

Choose a spouse/partner/whatever who is stinking rich ....bet loads have thought of that one :D
  • arbroath_lass
    Options
    As well as the library you can get free Kindle books on Amazon. No need to buy a Kindle, you can download a free app for your laptop/ipad etc. Be aware, though, some books are free for a reason!
  • dailycheaptips
    Options
    1. Use your toiletries till they run out
    2. Turn off the light and the faucet when you don't use them
    3. Look for used school books and sell yours when you're done
    4. Invite your friends over instead of going out
    5. Meal prep if you take your food to work/school with you
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Recent experience of getting "caught" that way for a second time (ie of having a friend to stay for a week or so and finding myself out of pocket as a result).

Don't take it for granted that anyone staying for a week or more will automatically follow "standard procedure" of little gift when they come and treat you to a dinner out whilst here (or covering the cost of some groceries). Some people don't seem to have learnt the "full set of manners" anywhere:cool: and will happily accept you covering all their food, etc, whilst staying without offering anything towards it.

I've now fallen for that one twice of finding nothing whatsoever was offered towards the extra costs of them staying with me and will still have friends to stay in future, but will state at the outset that I cant afford to be out of pocket because of it and establish "fair shares" will be covered one way or another, so that I'm not.
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Recent experience of getting "caught" that way for a second time (ie of having a friend to stay for a week or so and finding myself out of pocket as a result).

Don't take it for granted that anyone staying for a week or more will automatically follow "standard procedure" of little gift when they come and treat you to a dinner out whilst here (or covering the cost of some groceries). Some people don't seem to have learnt the "full set of manners" anywhere:cool: and will happily accept you covering all their food, etc, whilst staying without offering anything towards it.

I've now fallen for that one twice of finding nothing whatsoever was offered towards the extra costs of them staying with me and will still have friends to stay in future, but will state at the outset that I cant afford to be out of pocket because of it and establish "fair shares" will be covered one way or another, so that I'm not.

How infuriating for you.Good luck with the new plan.
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant ideas on here that I will be nabbing!

For my twopenn'th worth, I'd say:

Don't watch/read adverts! They portray everything as "must-have-this-to have-a-happy-life" and foster dis-satisfaction with what you already have. Does "new and improved" mean that what you already possess is "old and inferior"?

Avoid "useful gadgets" like the plague - they will end up as back-of-the-cupboard clutter. Convenience should be looked as CON-venience!

Eat healthily and don't get persuaded by the ads into self medicating with expensive vitamin supplements for minor ailments. If you are not well - go to the doctors, get expert advice and treatment. If you are tired, stressed and under the weather - take time out.... its low cost and ultimately better for you in the long term than carrying on & masking your pain with booze, food or drugs and doing lasting damage (been there, done that myself and its a big regret)

Consider learning to sew as your next hobby, its not rocket science and there are plenty on online tutorials and library books for guidance and inspiration - you will save mega bucks and create your own individual style of soft furnishings, curtains etc. By being able to tailor/repurpose/adapt/restyle charity shop finds to suit your own body shape, you will have a unique wardrobe for small cost. Couture is all about the cut and fit, not about the price tag :) Its also a very useful skill for making great personalised Christmas and Birthday gifts at small cost, instead of spending your hard earned dosh on overpriced poorly made tat in the festive spendathon :) Much nicer for your loved ones to receive a "handmade by you with love" cushion than a mass produced by a wage slave in the third world one that drops apart after the first wash.

*steps down off soapbox*

Final words...remember that the best things in life are free - love, family and friends, we are fortunate in the UK to have clean drinking water, clean air and personal freedom - everything else is a bonus!

Good luck :) x x
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Sign up to Daily Free Books UK and download daily anything that looks interesting for the future. Nothing lost if later you delete it but better than paying for it later if you do.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family