Cake?

Options
Probably the wrong forum but here goes...

It's my DD's 6th Birthday soon and we're having a party. Shes invited 29 children (A mix of school / family etc) so 30 in total (inc her) - Although not all have confirmed they are attending.

Now - I've ordered a 2 tier cake (6inch and a 4 inch) and they have told me i will be ucky to get 20 portions.

I'm not planning on giving HUGE pieces of cake, and 3 of the children are actually babies.

The baker is trying to get me to purchase a bigger cake.

Do i really need to?!

Thanks!

Mimi

Comments

• fatblackandwhite
    Options
    I would say no! If you are worried about everyone getting some cake, why not bake (or buy) some cupcakes too. If they are 'pretty' enough some of the children might prefer a cupcake anyway.
  • debndot
    debndot Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I've just done a 6 and 8 inch round for my son's birthday to feed about 35 mainly adults so yours should be fine for kids portions, you could always do a fee fairy cakes yourself to make sure, your baker is prob going by the 2x1 inch portion which means your size would do about 20
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    The cake is too small for the amount of people, i would get an 8 inch and ten inch. I got a 8 inch and 6 inch for my daughters birthday and it only cut into 20, sponge cake is not easy to cut thin!
  • preeti22
    preeti22 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    No .I don't think you need bigger cake. first of all confirm how many kids will be attending the party. and As you said there will be 3 babies so I don't think they can eat whole piece(get one little bigger cake slice than others and divide it into 3 pieces). plus you can have some cupcakes.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 August 2013 at 8:26AM
    Options
    I agree with others, sponge is difficult to cut thinly & a batch of cupcakes (could just be small 'bun' sized but nicely decorated) would be my choice to add.

You might be able to do this Our-Top-12-Baking-Tips-mdn.jpg or,

There's a chart here showing how to cut cakes into segments http://pinterest.com/pin/109845678383160332/
    733602c06f3b226c42d0d39b098d4971.jpg
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    The problem with confirming is that most are her school friends who I dont have contact with during the holidays so I don't think we will know until a few days before the party.

Thanks Chris25!

I think I will get a "stand by" cake. I doubt the kids will notice it isnt THE cake that DD blows the candles out with

Thanks!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just remembered that many, many years ago, I did the same for my daughter's party. When the other cake was cut & wrapped in a napkin, no-one commented that it was different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure