Ring hallmark lost - help!

Hi all :)
I bought a white gold diamond ring (11 diamonds) from Walton's of Chester around 14 years ago for around £500 . I now want to sell it, but when I took it for valuation at a local jewellers was told it was only worth scrap value (maybe around £40!) as there is no hallmark. I had it resized a few years back and can only assume that the hallmark was removed at the time - I wouldn't have noticed as I knew nothing about them then.
Anyway, my question is - is there a method by which I can have the true value of the ring assessed or get the hallmark back? Or any other ideas? I want to let go of the ring for personal reasons but it really grieves me to make such a loss :(.

Cheers for any help :beer:

Comments

• chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can send it back to have it restamped at the assay office x
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • Thanks Chris - do you mean send it back to the jewellers where I got it resized (it was a few years back now and I have no record/ receipt) or actually take it to an assay office and they will be able to analyse it independently and re hallmark? Sorry - have no idea about all this.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The Assay Office will restamp the hallmark in this item, you can arrange this direct or you can speak to any local jewellers about this. I know that Ernest Jones, Leslie Davis & H Samuels can all help with this.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Having it re assayed though can be very expensive- and if it is likely to be scapped you may not end up with more money at the end of it anyway.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Cybi-Ping
    Cybi-Ping Posts: 517 Forumite
    If you're sure it is genuine then its worth paying to have it re-hallmarked. You send it off and they test the quality, then hallmark it accordingly.

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/send_hallmarking.html
  • thanks for all the advice. I've just been looking on ebay at a similar ring and it is priced at only £280! I think it might not be worth my while having it assayed - looks like it costs at least £140 +VAT. Not sure if the diamond quality may be different and that could be the reason for the lower price of the ebay ring, but that doesn't seem to be covered by the assay office anyway. I know the jewellers in my local town said the market is a bit flooded with similar rings at the mo - may be the reason.

Anyway, I think I will just keep hold of it and my old wedding ring and when the gold price goes back up sell for scrap. Ho hum!

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport