Trying to get money from santander

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
5 replies 996 views
MrRodgerMrRodger Forumite
1 Post
I have recently sent a complaint letter to Santander about charges i was getting because of the type of account i had. I had spent about 3 hours of my time phoning and writing to various people trying to get the problem resolved. As i am self employed i feel i am well within my rights to charge the bank for my time spent on this matter therefore i attached an invoice of my charges to them.

a few days later i got a phone call from the santander complaints department basically telling me they will reduce the charges but also said that they have "Declined" my invoice! How can they decline an invoice? am not applying for credit its a charge, surely they cant just disregard my bill to them?

Can anyone advise me of where i should or could go from here?

Replies

  • leclercleclerc Forumite
    137 Posts
    MrRodger wrote: »
    I have recently sent a complaint letter to Santander about charges i was getting because of the type of account i had. I had spent about 3 hours of my time phoning and writing to various people trying to get the problem resolved. As i am self employed i feel i am well within my rights to charge the bank for my time spent on this matter therefore i attached an invoice of my charges to them.

    a few days later i got a phone call from the santander complaints department basically telling me they will reduce the charges but also said that they have "Declined" my invoice! How can they decline an invoice? am not applying for credit its a charge, surely they cant just disregard my bill to them?

    Can anyone advise me of where i should or could go from here?


    You cannot unilaterally invoice the bank for your time since you are creating terms outside of the contract between the bank and yourself. They have declined to pay you for your invoice so what are you going to do and to be able to prove that there is any term in your banking contract for you to take that action? You will come unstuck on that front.

    On the other issue of a paid for account with Santander, what information have you given them to prove that the account was missold or not asked for or needed?
    Prove to them that the insurances were invalid and prove to them that other benefits were either not explained or explained poorly and you were already covered. It's been done on MSE before so you can do that.
  • antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leclerc wrote: »
    You cannot unilaterally invoice the bank for your time....

    Yes you can. Might not do you any good, mind you, but there's no law preventing anyone from 'unilaterally' sending out invoices on any pretext they fancy.
    MrRodger wrote: »
    ... How can they decline an invoice? am not applying for credit its a charge, surely they cant just disregard my bill to them?

    Of course they can. People ignore invoices they don't agree with all the time.
    MrRodger wrote: »
    ...Can anyone advise me of where i should or could go from .

    Court.
  • "surely they cant just disregard my bill to them? "
    They can disregard what they want.
    Are you seriously suggesting they should pay any 'invoice' a customer sends to them?
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The OP can take them to FOS for "distress and inconvenience" however, whilst real financial loss can be asked for, the FOS rate for time is £10 per hour.
  • roonaldoroonaldo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrRodger wrote: »
    As i am self employed i feel i am well within my rights to charge the bank for my time spent on this matter therefore i attached an invoice of my charges to them.
    they are not obliged to pay it. based on your argument my invoice to you for my reply is £20. ta.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals