CHEAP wedding in south wales - help?

Hi everyone,

We really don't have much money, and we just want to be married rather than wait years to save up for an expensive day.
So we are having a bit of a diy wedding, and we've figured we can't really afford a hotel for the reception, so we are thinking maybe a community hall type of place? Somewhere with a bar, and tables and chairs and a kitchen for catering, but we could decorate it to put our mark on it for the day.
Does anyone know anywhere like that in the Cardiff area please? :)

Comments

• kacie
    kacie Posts: 901
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is there any pubs that have function rooms nearby? might be able to do food or you might have to supply your own
  • heart_free
    heart_free Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    Try your local miners institute or rfc, community centre, etc. depending on time of year you could organise a picnic in one of the local parks - you'd probably have to get permission fom the ouncil though.
    What about contacting one of the bigger venues and see if they have a cancellation that they need to resell? My brother I'd this with outnumber hall and because he was prepared o organise his wedding in 6 weeks it cost him about £700 for the ceremony and reception. We did all the lowers and table decorations ourselves and went in elder in the day to decorate the rooms.
    "I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I TURN UP ONLY ONCE."
    - Terry Pratchett
  • Where in South Wales are you? I can tell you that Cardiff is a nightmare for affordable venues.

Last year I went to a wedding reception in the city centre. They booked out the upstairs of a fancy bar on a Friday night and paid for some drinks behind the bar + nibbles. As the downstairs was open to the public it remained quite affordable and it also meant they could invite pretty much as many people as they wanted to the reception.

Otherwise rugby clubs are a reasonable bet. Plus the drinks are usually quite cheap.
  • hippihaz
    hippihaz Posts: 115 Forumite
    we got married in llanharan RFC (its about 20-25mins outside cardiff), in the village where we lived, got the rugby club for £25 for the day! had local caterers which did 3 course wedding breakfast and cold evening buffet for about £15/head, it had a bar (with reasonably priced drinks) and we had to use their table wine but house wine was only £7/8 a bottle, so quite happy with that. So it is possible to get a good deal, but you might need to head outside cardiff itself :)
  • I haven't been there myself but someone told me that the Royal British Legion club in Rumney is pretty affordable.
  • The wharf pub in the bay, Churchills in Llandaff, Have a look at the other brains pubs that offer wedding, grape & olive etc.

Theres an old church off city road, can't remember what its called. Parc hotel in llanedeyrn, Premier inn. There are lots of places that will accommodate all budgets, just give a ring & ask, think you'll be surprised.

Hope that helps! Kate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport