We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is dodgy loans my only hope? Help ASAP pls

Options
Hi
we have over £30k worth of debt in all and have been on a DMP for 1 year with payplan and everything has been managable.... that was until our bank smile stated that our overdraft was no longer approved and took it off us:embarasse
As soon as this happened we have had two major disasters... the car (which is essential as my husband works peripietically) has died and is beyond repair and My bathroom has a major leak which is creating a flood in the kitchen and the celing is looking voulnerable at the moment. As this is effecting my hubbys work and the bathroom problem is bad we need some money fast.

As we have never defaulted on our mortgage (with Abbey) and have alot of equity we asked to borrow some money from them, they have looked into our situation and have said due to our credit rating there is no way they would help and that if they put the request for an extra amount on the mortage we would not be able to get any credit for the next year.

Where can i get approx £2000 from? (although to be honest any amount would really help) I am thinking I will have to resourt to the dreaded shopper check or provident and this scares me but we may have no other option.

this is getting us really down at the moment, I have an insurance claim that should be finalised before xmas so if I did take out dodgy loans I would repay it as soon as I had this money

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Araminta

Comments

• aramintalovegrove
    Options
    the car has been an albertross since we got it, basically it cost us alot over the years as it has been really dodgy and the next time it died we had resolved we can not put any more money into it as it seems monthly something major happens. the clutch has gone, we paid £400 out last month on something else and as it is self adjusting it will need replacing at a cost of £300+ we just cant keep running it. I havnt got any money to call a plumber out so we dont know for definate but the shower is leaking and its under the floorboards where the leak is so we cant get to it, i have spoken to a plumber about it and TBH the state of the whole shower unit means it needs ripping out and redoing as its over 30 yrs old and we have no bath... the car is more important we can cope with a rubbish shower and fallen celing so if we can only get dodgy loans I will get the cheapest reliable car I can, obviously if it is doable it would be sensible to get enough to sort everything out...this is why i am asking for the help.
    thanks for the quick response
  • aramintalovegrove
    Options
    Ha just noticed your sign in thats what my car was lol!!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    do ytou have buildings insurance- would it be possible to have a look at claiming the cost of the bathroom on that? :confused:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • aramintalovegrove
    Options
    Albertross I understand where you are coming from and rest assured that we are trying all the preventative measures we can to ensure we get out of this without the need for a loan....however I need to make sure I know all my options.

Re the shower this is being looked into and anything we can do we are doing, I have posted on more appropriate forums for assistance with this issue and thanks for the advice.

Re the car IT HAS TO GO, it is dangerous to drive due to other faults we cant afford to fix, our mechanic has been warning we should get rid of it for a matter of years and dispares everytime we say we can't afford to change it just yet. It is also crippling us with the fuel consumption. We will be sourcing a relaible Jalopy from our trusted mechanic and will have to take our chances on further problems.

lynzpower
    We are looking into this too the damage will certainly be covered but having a decrepid suite is up to us to sort out.

Really i just need to get my head round worst case senario needing a loan and what we will be able to get, if anyone can give us information about what options are available to us I would be more than grateful as it will put this whole mess we seem to be in at the moment into a little bit more perspective.
    Thanks
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lynzpower
    We are looking into this too the damage will certainly be covered but having a decrepid suite is up to us to sort out.

Really i just need to get my head round worst case senario needing a loan and what we will be able to get, if anyone can give us information about what options are available to us I would be more than grateful as it will put this whole mess we seem to be in at the moment into a little bit more perspective.
    Thanks

the difficulty you find yourself in is that if you DO take another loan ( and can find anyone willing to give you one) your DMP will more as likely fail as you know you are not to take on any other debt whilst in a dmp and all your current creditors can and DO back out of dmps and thus your 30k debt will revert to collection agencies and so forth.

Im minded to think that in your DMP you should have drawn up a budget to put money away for household maintainence and also for car maintainence. Have you been doing this?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • aramintalovegrove
    Options
    Didnt know about the forum albertross, thats good to know thanks.

Lynz I see your point, no we didnt include this and we have streched ourselves a little too far it seems now we are in this situation, maybe this needs some redress, we have actually paid off one of our creditors recently through claiming back the bank charges but this means a matter of a few pence change to the DMP as it was quite a little amount owed compaired to the others, we thought we were doing right by paying off the overdraft we had with the money left over from the claim but thats when smile said no more overdraft for us, so Im wishing we hadnt now:(
    What a mess we are in eh!
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i your DMP with Payplan?

I would be in discussion with them and talking with them about the fact that your budget does not have opportunities for sagving towards these costs.

This will mean however, that your contribution to your DMP is reduced ( if successful) and that therefore the DMP will go on for longer.
    This Ive come to know...
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    my heart goes out to u, on the car front, theres now a abundence of cheap cars about u should be able to get a taxed and tester say Astra, or something like that dont but a Rover wat ever u do the head gasket will go theres people giving the things away, on the bath front basically take a look and find exactly where the leak is, my mate was sat in the bath and it went throu the floor and landed on his mum doing the washing up! the house was built in 1833! I would say to ur mortgage people that as the property is actually still theirs to a point that u really need the money etc i argued with A and L and won!
  • dch74
    dch74 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I know the feeling about lemon cars, I bought a renault laguna recently, 2 days after buying it the radiator went (cost 150 +vat), two weeks after that the gearbox went (total cost of repair including tows and parts £400), as for plumbing chceck the joints, as for parts go to ebay
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure