Council Tax Rebanding Refused

I have written to the VOA as my property is in band C.

I believe it should be in band A or B.

The property was last sold in 1987 for £30,000. I have the estate agents advert from the time.

The request for rebanding has been declined and the letter states i have no right of appeal against the review....

For the property to be in band C it would have to be be worth £52,000 in April 1991 which is totally unrealistic given the sale price in 1987.

Any ideas on my next step?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices were rising in 1987, so without knowing the month the ad appeared or what condition the property was in, the figure of £30K isn't much help.

What bands are nearby properties of a similar size, age and type in? If you can find any in Bands A or B, then go back to the VOA with this info.
  • Hi lincroft, thanks for the reply

the problem is that the property is a bungalow and most bungalows are unique in the area. a lot of other properties are terrace houses and in band A or B.

I quoted these on the initial request for re-evaluation but was told these properties were not comparable as they are terraces.

The property was valued for inheritance purposes in 2000 @£70k, if that helps?
  • BeetlemamaBeetlemama Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    They turned us down too, despite the band A's opposite us having 4 beds and a garage! Ah well. More likely there's is wrong then ours, but I wouldn't report them.
    "There is no substitute for time."

Competition wins:
    2013. Three bottles of oxygen! And a family ticket to intech science centre. 2011. The Lake District Cheese Co Cow and bunny pop up play tent, cheese voucher, beach ball and cuddly toy cow and bunny and a £20 ToysRus voucher!
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inheritance Tax values will take everything into account, whereas value for CT purposes will ignore items such as poor repair or poor decorative order, so may be a bit low. £70K suggests B/C, but unless you can find bungalows of a similar size in B, you've got nothing to persuade them to change their mind.
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beetlemama wrote: »
    They turned us down too, despite the band A's opposite us having 4 beds and a garage! Ah well. More likely there's is wrong then ours, but I wouldn't report them.

I would say most definitely they're wrong, unless they were tiny places massively extended by their current owners or suffer from serious subsidence or constructional problems
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News