Boost Your Income: Work at the supermarket

Options
articlealert2_banner.gif

This is the new forum thread for discussing the "Work at the supermarket" section in the guide:

The old thread can be seen here.
If you work part-time at a supermarket to supplement your main income, of if you've got any suggestions or questions, please join in the discussion :)

Many thanks,
MSE Becca

Comments

• cam79
    Options
    check out Aldi.co.uk careers
  • Nicky101
    Options
    Used to work in a local supermarket and went to college at the same time
    as soon as lessons were over I had to rush straight down and start my shift
    It was murder.
  • funnyguy
    funnyguy Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    Options
    Another pointless MSE thread.Tell by the 2 responses in almost a month .Surely they can do better than this...?
  • rhialwencomp
    Options
    funnyguy wrote: »
    Another pointless MSE thread.Tell by the 2 responses in almost a month .Surely they can do better than this...?

I agree, isn't working in a supermarket just... a normal job? :D

"Want money? Get a job." :money:
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    not sticking up for supermarkets, but they do offer flexability, as some offer contracts of x hours per year, so your be covering holidays, sickness, peak periods.

With 24 hour opening there is flexability of shifts.

Departments - its not just the checkouts and shelf stackers theres plenty of roles available, multi tasking, gives you the chance to pick up extra shifts.

I worked for a supermarket (1997/2000) and covered areas from tills, cash management, stock control, advertising, dry cleaning, customer cafe, staff canteen,

The pay structure was different then as bank holidays were triple time plus day off, sundays double time, - I was young free and single and use to volunteer on a sunday for my department, then I would do price changes after store closed, short week, I would work 6 hours on a busy price change week, I use to do 13 - 14 hours.
    x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • MSE_Sarah
    MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback so far. Please keep adding to this thread if you have any comments on working at supermarkets.

MSE Sarah
    Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure