PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bread mix/flour storage - Lock & Lock?

Options
Hi there, feeling really guilty as I got a MR breadmaker a while back & it's still sitting there unused :o. I've decided to get organised (again) & I read somewhere on these threads about keeping all your ingredients to hand & it sound like a good idea. I already have some Lock & Lock boxes & love them. Does anyone know what sizes/shapes are suitable for flour or bread mixes?
Thanks

Comments

• thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use one of the tall Addis pouring containers for flour - I think they're meant for cereal with a spout in the top - but they just hold a 1.5kg bag.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • ChasingButterflies
    Options
    Hi there,

1.5kg of flour into 2.6l HPL822B

1kg bag of sugar just fits into 1.8l tub maybe best to got for a 2l tub so there is no overspill...

I am so emabarressed that I know this :rotfl:

Hope this helps!
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I weigh out my flour so I have the right amount for a loaf in each tub. I use the square lock and lock 870ml capacity which just holds 500g. Then I don't have to worry about measuring each time I make a loaf.
  • Wee_Bargain_Hunter
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it & it'll save me from getting the wrong things. BTW I'd never even thought of having things stored "pre-weighed" - really good idea. Might still get a larger box as well though.
    Another problem has come up - why on earth didn't i think i'd need a set of scales?!! Some cook i'll be! :rotfl: Any ideas anyone?
  • ChasingButterflies
    Options
    Hi,

I used to get digital kitchen scales however for one reason or another they never lasted very long... So I was in Asda one day and picked up a set of smart price traditional style scales - they are still going strong a couple of years on!!

The plastic basket that sits on top struggles to hold 450g of flour. For the price though I would recommend!!!
  • Wardi
    Wardi Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

Just a quick one - whats a lock & lock box?

I am going to feel really silly when I find out what it is arent I!!!

2010 is the year of bargain shopping! Time to money save, exercise and plan! I like to keep busy :)
  • Three_Dancing_Dragons
    Options
    Wardi wrote: »
    Just a quick one - whats a lock & lock box?

I am going to feel really silly when I find out what it is arent I!!!

Altogether for the chorus: :whistle: "This is the Lakeland-appreciation, so-ciety..."

Lock n Lock is a type of plastic storage box (fridge/freezer/microwave proof) with a very effective airtight/watertight seal. Guess where you can buy them...:D
    If you think reality makes sense, you're just not paying attention!
  • Wardi
    Wardi Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you!!

:j

Will go have a look now
    2010 is the year of bargain shopping! Time to money save, exercise and plan! I like to keep busy :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure