Mis-sold mortgage from company that no longer exits. Can I claim?

Can anyone please help??? I had a mortgage with Gmac in 2002 and paid my mortgage off in 2006. I was charged excessively for missed payments etc. i have just found out that the company no longer exits in England however it does exist in America. Can i claim anything back??
Thanks.:)

Replies

• How did being charged for missed payments make the mortgage 'mis-sold'?
  • antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twoo1234 wrote: »
    Can anyone please help??? I had a mortgage with Gmac in 2002 and paid my mortgage off in 2006. I was charged excessively for missed payments etc....

Probably too late now, any claim would be statute barred.
    ...i have just found out that the company no longer exits in England however it does exist in America.

It exists in Wales as well. :) GMAC UK plc is based in Cardiff.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone please help??? I had a mortgage with Gmac in 2002 and paid my mortgage off in 2006. I was charged excessively for missed payments etc. i have just found out that the company no longer exits in England however it does exist in America. Can i claim anything back??
    Thanks.:)

You were charged the charges you agreed to pay when you read and signed up for the mortgage.

How come they didn't seem excessive then and now you have decided that they are?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • roonaldoroonaldo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    GMAC sold their mortgages and loans through brokers and intermediaries. Contact that company
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortgages were not regulated until Oct 2004. So, its pre-regulation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    roonaldo wrote: »
    GMAC sold their mortgages and loans through brokers and intermediaries. Contact that company

and explain why it is their fault that GMAC charged you late payment fees.
  • roonaldoroonaldo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    and explain why it is their fault that GMAC charged you late payment fees.
    yeah!, its a tad unclear if a mis-sale or fees complaint. my response was relating to mis-sale. but of course a fees complaint would be to GMAC.

OP, GMAC's mortgages are now owned in the UK by Paratus. But as already stated a complaint may well be time barred.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides