We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Should I pay money into my mortgage?

We have a mortgage that is at 4.29% fixed at the moment for another year and a bit. The question I have is should I pay an extra money I have into the mortgage (it's flexible) or into my ISA which is currently giving 5.3%? I would assume that I'm best putting the money in the ISA but I wonder if I'm missing anything here?

Cheers

D

Comments

  • *EssEncE*
    *EssEncE* Posts: 55 Forumite
    The quicker one can pay off their mortgage, the better.

    I would personally pay off as much of the mortgage as you can afford and are allowed to by your current lender.

    But im not an expert on savings, so I would recommend speaking to an IFA
    I am a Mortgage Adviser


    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.