Handing in my notice (bit complicated)

I have been working at a company for 6 years, have just returned after 9 months maternity leave and have been back at the company a month. It has been the most miserable I have ever felt in my life. Its not to do with being away from my baby - he is excelling at nursery and loves it and I enjoy our time apart. Instead its to do with a very awkward colleague and the upshot is I want to leave.

I've been searching for jobs, and contacted one of our suppliers (a print company) and asked if they had any roles going. They have offered me exactly what I want - decent salary, 4 days a week etc. Perfect.

However I am now concerned that my current boss will make it difficult for me to leave. The big worry is that I do need to tell her where I am going on to (she would find out anyway if she googled me and I'd rather be honest from the offset) and as they are a supplier I am concerned she is going to be very bitter and pull some print work from them. If she did, this would mean a loss to the company of about half a million pounds worth of work. My potential new boss and current boss know each other and don't get along at all, and my current boss is very juvenile and !!!!!y and would happily source an alternative printer as 'punishment' to the new company, for 'taking' me. Over the past few weeks my boss has said she doesn't want me to leave and is so glad I'm back so I'm worried she could be a real cow and pull the work just because she can. There is no contract in place between us and the supplier so she wouldn't be breaking a contract by doing so.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be working at the new company, find their print work from my old company is dwindling and just imagine the attitude that would be directed towards me. I asked my potential new boss what she thinks and she said she wouldn't fire me because of it, but its only her word. I have a young family and can't put myself in the position of having no job/income!

Any advice? Thanks

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My philosophy is anyone could be given notice to leave a job at any time really. If you like the new job better than the current, go for it and stop worrying. I was made redundant as a single parent with a young child, it wasn't nice but it wasn't the end of the world either. You'll manage, whatever happens.

The stress of churning stuff around in your head is a thousand times worse than actually making decisions and getting on with it.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • moneypuddle
    moneypuddle Posts: 936 Forumite
    Thanks Whitewang! You're right :)
  • Shoey1610
    Shoey1610 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Whitewang is completely right, you are overanalysing it a little, although I understand why.

'You'll manage, whatever happens' is the single best piece of advice someone also gave me nine months ago and now I am about to start the job of my dreams after some amazing time at home with my daughter.

I was in the mindset that I had to just keep going no matter how unhappy I was. That awful things would happen otherwise. I was so wrong and letting go was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Go for it.
  • moneypuddle
    Really great to hear a positive experience Shoey! Thank you
  • flashnazia
    flashnazia Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    I have been working at a company for 6 years, have just returned after 9 months maternity leave and have been back at the company a month. It has been the most miserable I have ever felt in my life. Its not to do with being away from my baby - he is excelling at nursery and loves it and I enjoy our time apart. Instead its to do with a very awkward colleague and the upshot is I want to leave.

I've been searching for jobs, and contacted one of our suppliers (a print company) and asked if they had any roles going. They have offered me exactly what I want - decent salary, 4 days a week etc. Perfect.

However I am now concerned that my current boss will make it difficult for me to leave. The big worry is that I do need to tell her where I am going on to (she would find out anyway if she googled me and I'd rather be honest from the offset) and as they are a supplier I am concerned she is going to be very bitter and pull some print work from them. If she did, this would mean a loss to the company of about half a million pounds worth of work. My potential new boss and current boss know each other and don't get along at all, and my current boss is very juvenile and !!!!!y and would happily source an alternative printer as 'punishment' to the new company, for 'taking' me. Over the past few weeks my boss has said she doesn't want me to leave and is so glad I'm back so I'm worried she could be a real cow and pull the work just because she can. There is no contract in place between us and the supplier so she wouldn't be breaking a contract by doing so.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be working at the new company, find their print work from my old company is dwindling and just imagine the attitude that would be directed towards me. I asked my potential new boss what she thinks and she said she wouldn't fire me because of it, but its only her word. I have a young family and can't put myself in the position of having no job/income!

Any advice? Thanks

What if you told your boss about the awkward colleague in the hope of assuring her you are only leaving because of that? Will she still resent you going?
    "fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)
  • I'm not sure flashnazia. Whatever the reason I'm leaving I don't think she's going to be particularly happy with where I'm going on to. To be honest I had a really bad day at work today which has just sealed the thought that I want to leave even more! I'm handing my notice in on Tuesday morning, when my MD is next in! Wish me luck! x
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    just say you are leaving no need to say where you are going
    watch out for any enhanced maternity clawback.
  • teabelly
    teabelly Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If your current boss thinks so much of you, you could try the 'them or me' trick with the colleague. Then if they won't get rid of the colleague they have no reason to be arsey if you find another job. Either way it's a win/win...
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm handing my notice in on Tuesday morning, when my MD is next in!

Update please :)
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
  • moneypuddle
    Its done! Handed in and turns out I didn't really have a lot to worry about. I start my new job on Mon 2nd of September and cannot wait!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure