Prizes "worth" a certain amount

Just wondering what people thought about what promoters say a prize is worth, and what you actually think it's worth.

I'll explain myself better.... today I received a prize that was stated in the comp to be worth over £80. It was a picnic hamper that was described as being kitted out for six people including a selection of juices as well as cups, plates etc and a stylish rug.
Well when it came, there's no way it's worth £80. The juices etc are really good and a nice selection but I'd say about £20 worth. This would mean that the hamper cost £60 - but it's a really small, quite cheap wicker basket, which contained nothing more than a thin picnic blanket and 6 very small plastic plates, so at a push it might be valued at around £20 - where on earth do they get their RRP's from?!

Not that I'm really complaining - it's something for nothing, and the juice alone was worth entering the comp for as my boys go through it like nobody's business. Just wish the promoters would be honest in their descriptions as I was expecting a really swish hamper! :undecided

Comments

• hannahp
    hannahp Posts: 930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi cagsd.:)

Firstly congrats on the win :j
    Prices probably from the same place Retailers get their 'Was £12.99 Now half price £6.49"

Sell it at that price in some obscure store somewhere OR whatever else you can get away with saying legally :beer:
    :happylove Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves. :happylove
  • bossladysal
    bossladysal Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I won a diamond on the wasgij comp and it came with certificates and a valuation stating it was worth £7500. I considered selling it but was only offered £750 for it, although one jeweller looked it up and found a similar stone retailing in the trade for £3000. So I don't know how the original valuation was arrived at! I have now decided to have it made into a ring and I will get lots of pleasure from it. It's being made for me at the moment and I can't wait to collect it!
  • Barnabysue
    Barnabysue Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    It always makes me smile when you see a handbag 'worth' £750, no bag could ever be worth that amount unless it was jewel encrusted or made from a precious metal IMO.
    Luck is believing you’re lucky – Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night – Anonymous
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    where on earth do they get their RRP's from

Highest price they can find from - pay over x number of weeks catalogues/harrods/internet or "rrp" and if it is their own product they can simply pull a value out of thin air.
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If it was from the mags those juices sell in Waitrose for around £2 each, a large wicker picnic basket without the gubbins is around £30 so it does add up - remember they don't get their prices from amazon or ebay !!
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    ^^^ Hmm still, I don't see how they got £80.
    Four 1L cartons of juice = about £8
    Four mini cartons of juice = about £4
    Four little bottles of smoothie = about £8? so £20 worth of juice
    A little picnic rug about a fiver, a couple of cheapo plates maybe another fiver tops, that leaves £50 worth of basket!?? It's not even a large one, probably a two-person size and really quite flimsy!

Ah well, serves me right for expecting too much, I really thought it'd be a nice sturdy basket with cutlery, cups, plates etc. You can get better ones in BHS for £25!!!

Anyway like I said, it's something for nothing, I just had over-high expectations :undecided
  • I would say the majority of hamper wins are ridiculously overpriced in the comp text, to be honest.

I seem to attract hamper wins (not ITV wins, not gadgets - just hampers) and I've never had one that was remotely near the quoted price. Well, unless a jar of pasta sauce now costs around £15 :rotfl: I did complain once when I won a "hamper of assorted products" from a certain company and they sent me a jiffy bag with an apron, a pen and a branded egg cup! After I complained to them about it they sent me a tea towel as well :eek:
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
  • nelie
    nelie Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 August 2013 at 12:12AM
    I won a hamper from Betty's of Harrogate - it was £100. It was worth it, lots of things and I know how expensive it is there.

I've not won anything else that I would say has been over inflated. :) x

But i know a lot of places go on RRP - not the actual selling price of goods... x
    December Wins: £300 worth of board games, £500 Tesco Vouchers Best Win in 2023: £500 Tesco Vouchers
  • MY watch I won couple weeks ago worth £425 when it came it has got the price on it, and it was spot on its a lovely watch
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forgot the magic word "hamper" - that means an extra charge for the air that goes around the stuff they put in it
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport