What's the minimum to avoid disconnection?

Options
13»

Comments

• ethan123
    ethan123 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 July 2013 at 12:01PM
    Options
    Thanks Undaunted... I am actually on W Tx Credits, so I don't know if that will be possible, as it's not the DWP... But thanks anyway. I'll look into it further.

I have sent NPower my latest meter reading, and hope to be able to re-engage making payments soon. Tho I have no idea how much they will want per week yet... as we haven't got to the negotiations yet.

Off topic slightly:
    One way of saving some money to help make fuel payments, is the fact that you only need to pay for a TV License if you watch TV programs as they're being broadcasted. So, you can now declare that you only watch catch-up programs on your TV, which is an option on the TV License website. ~Only do this if you don't watch live broadcast TV

Some helpful person on another thread in this forum, pointed this out.

Thanks chanz4, I will explore my options over the next few days. I will have to get this wrapped up soon. I've contacted NPower and am waiting to hear back from them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 July 2013 at 7:50PM
    Options
    As well as reading meters G4S have got us delivering TV licence letters to households not buying a TV licence. I delivered 15 in my street alone , one to my next door neighbour who I know for sure watches TV ,(live ). It saddens me to see the usual section of the public who think its OK to steal from the rest of us who end up subsidising these thieves.Unlike the same people who thieve electric and gas with no prosections the BBC happily prosecute them thank god. OP, you are not telling me that after a lifetime of watching TV on tap at the touch of a button you are going to religiously faff about watching recorded TV only.. no chance would you have that sort of dedication. I for one dont believe that for a second. Hopefully the BBC will find a way with digital TV of getting proof of all these cheapskates fiddling the licences into court. Watch out if you let the gas man in, I caught and witnessed a TV licence fiddler the other week watching live Open Golf on his 48 inch TV, he went bananas when I told him , after reading gas meter, that heres a letter from the BBC and I am a witness. Hopefully I will be called to court when he is prosecuted
  • ethan123
    Options
    What about the folks out there that still think that they have to have a license, just because they happen to have a TV, computer, or other similar device... even if they don't watch live TV?

I have to admit that I had no idea until the other day. I don't know if it's a recent policy change, but it's certainly news to me. What about all those peeps who have a TV and a DVD player that just sit there in the corner of the room... and they are under the impression that they need a license? These people pay the BBC for licenses every year, for the pleasure of watching DVDs. Is this not also "subsidising"?
    ... I can't tell you the negative / positive subsidy ratio - I just don't have such information. Tho I have little doubt that there are masses of cheats across the land.

Where have I told you that I have spent a lifetime watching live TV????? :huh: ... I don't like cheats either - tho I have to say that you really are firing blanks in the dark here
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 31 July 2013 at 11:44PM
    Options
    what folks are they ? if they ve got a telly ,video of course they will be tuning into live TV, I dont care what they claim, I personally dont believe them. Genuine people who dont watch any TV are as rare as hens teeth. I have been dishing out BBC licence letters for a couple of years now and am very cynical about all these fiddlers. Even in the very well off areas with 2 or 3 flash cars they are cheapskate enough to nick £145 if they think they can get away with it, which until some bright spark can invent a method of proof of viewing, they will.The public are wise enough now to know that the detector vans going round was a big con. Personally I think £2.75 a week , less than a pint of beer, is terrific value for money, Id pay that just to watch "Top Gear ". A licence is still needed if you record TV and watch it later
  • ethan123
    Options
    Folks with 2 or 3 flashy cars trying to get out of paying their license - I agree, doesn't sound acceptable. And £2.75 / w does sound good value.

Unfortunately, sometimes people do fall hard on their luck... especially over the last few years. I am presently experiencing financial hardship. When I moved into my current flat, everything was a lot easier... but at the moment, I have to explore more basic needs - hence I started posting in this forum, looking for answers.
  • eskimo26
    eskimo26 Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where have I told you that I have spent a lifetime watching live TV????? :huh: ... I don't like cheats either - tho I have to say that you really are firing blanks in the dark here

Don't worry Ethan he works for joke company G4S, probably went in to read that guys meter wearing large flat clown shoes and a red nose that squeaks!

Before they were on the scene it was exclusively Capita and they worked on commission, one of their favorite tricks was to ask you to sign a paper to say they had visited which was in reality a signed confession they would then use to prosecute.

I'm sure many a vulnerable person was and is being tricked to pay their commission. Do a search you will find this and much worse on the tactics tv inspectors use.

Judging by the way you were responded to the G4S goons also have a 'guilty until proven innocent' attitude. I went from tv to no recorded tv quite happily when we moved into student digs. I didn't miss anything it was all garbage and this was just before the advent of internet tv.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 1 August 2013 at 7:31AM
    Options
    Got to agree with you mate about the " joke " company I work for. G4S grabbed our company from the respected Accuread and have since managed to upset nearly all their meter reading employees. They have also got us sneaking into pubs to see if they have pirate SKY use in the pub, and hairdressers and the like to hear if they are playing music without a licence. Now you are not a student anymore I hope you are doing your duty and paying your TV licence,, you sound a little embittered. Watching on BBC iplayer would nt work if you do much viewing as you would start to pay for your broadband , none are truly unlimited ( fair use policys )
    Ethan123, you could I suppose, dump your broadband and or mobile phone contract as a start. I would need my telly much more than phone or internet if it came to a choice. Have a look on G4S website for vacancys if you are on the dole,, enough of us lot are packing it in , several just been started in Sheffield
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    As well as reading meters G4S have got us delivering TV licence letters to households not buying a TV licence. I delivered 15 in my street alone , one to my next door neighbour who I know for sure watches TV ,(live ). It saddens me to see the usual section of the public who think its OK to steal from the rest of us who end up subsidising these thieves.Unlike the same people who thieve electric and gas with no prosections the BBC happily prosecute them thank god. OP, you are not telling me that after a lifetime of watching TV on tap at the touch of a button you are going to religiously faff about watching recorded TV only..
    I don't think it works like that. Recorded TV is not exempt as it was 'live' when it was recorded.

The exemption only applies if you are watching VOD from an internet source or similar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure