Has anyone heard of Great Content

Options
Hi everyone,
I regularly visit an website that has jobs listings for the areas of art and heritage. It is a well known site for people interested in these types of jobs, so I have no problem with that.
This week I noticed a job ad for an online company Great Content, writing articles for them and their clients and getting paid per job based on content and word count. I have come across similar companies before that always look a little dodgy! This one looks OK though. It says they don't charge to register with them and they vet your writing before you can be offered jobs. I'm just wondering if anyone has come across them, or worked with them before? I'm always a little cautious about these types of things, so thought I would ask all you savvy pros out there!
I am not expecting to be able to give up my current job off of this. I just thought it could be a nice extra and get me back into writing. Any advice gratefully received :)

Comments

• Robinette
    Robinette Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I work in the industry and have never heard of Great Content; however, that is not to say that the company is not legitimate.

One concern would be that it does not appear to be registered at Companies House, and no UK address is provided.

I find the 'potential earnings' hard to believe: £99 net for a nine-hour day or £2,178 for a 22-day month. This is based on writing 1,100 words per hour with a four-star quality rating. Really?

As long as there are no fees required up front, and as long as you are not required to write multiple tests without remuneration, I would advise proceeding with caution.

You could also register with the other content mills mentioned on this board, such as Textbroker.

Good luck.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Registrant type: Non-UK Corporation
    Registrant's address: Germany
    Registered on: 30-Dec-2005
    Expiry date: 30-Dec-2013
    Last updated: 08-Jan-2012

Never heard of them. Website has been going since 2005, however they are a German based company and the website domain is due to expire in December 2013.

Just glancing at the site, it's not a proper job as they appear to be advertising it as but that doesn't mean it doesn't pay out.
    Robinette wrote: »
    One concern would be that it does not appear to be registered at Companies House, and no UK address is provided.

I find the 'potential earnings' hard to believe: £99 net for a nine-hour day or £2,178 for a 22-day month. This is based on writing 1,100 words per hour with a four-star quality rating. Really?

As long as there are no fees required up front, and as long as you are not required to write multiple tests without remuneration, I would advise proceeding with caution.

I agree with this. It may be legit, but it's not UK based and they're offering unrealistic potential earnings, plus if they don't renew the domain by the end of the year you probably won't be getting paid.
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    Here is a thread on them from some people who signed up with the website, doesn't sound like its been very sucressful for anyone there; http://www.wahm.com/forum/writing-freelancing-46/623779-anyone-here-written-greatcontent.html
  • cickly
    cickly Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for those replies everyone. They seem to confirm my suspicions though! I guess there would be no harm in applying as long as they don't want any bank information. I think I'll have a look at the other sites mentioned in the forum first though. Thank you :)
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PDC wrote: »
    Here is a thread on them from some people who signed up with the website, doesn't sound like its been very sucressful for anyone there; http://www.wahm.com/forum/writing-freelancing-46/623779-anyone-here-written-greatcontent.html

To be fair to the site, that thread is over a year old and almost all of the posters had only just joined. Many of them had not even had their test article checked.

I won't be trying it, because it's not my thing, but if anyone does I would recommend claiming a payout at the earliest opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure