commuting between Liverpool and Manchester - where to live

Options
Hi everyone, hope this is the best forum to post this question :)

My boyfriend and I are looking to move in together ( renting initially) and are starting to consider possible locations. He works in Liverpool and I will be working around Stockport (heaton Mersey, specifically) from early next year.

We would ideally want somewhere which would result in a fairly equal commute for both of us (we both drive, so good motorway links would be good)

So far the only place we have thought of is around Newton le willows ( for the sheer fact its roughly equal distance for both of us), ideally would not be looking at Warrington centre, but would look at towns around it

Anyone here live around these areas or know of any possible options? Also if anyone could recommended where to AVOID that would also be good!

Thanks!

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Warrington itself can be quite pricey, but you get a good town centre, M&S/Ikea/Boots/Next etc at Gemini retail park, plus huge Tesco, Sainsburys, 3 Asdas, Morrisons....
    Newton-le-Willows can be quite cheap, but there isn't much there. However, there are nice areas nearby, like Winwick.

You really need somewhere near to the M62 or off the Widnes/St Helens roads for Liverpool - which side does your OH work - Speke, Kirkby, Bootle, city centre etc? For Heaton Mersey, I would suggest somewhere near the A57 Manchester Road area, somewhere near the Ship Canal like Woolston or even Grappenhall/Lymm/Oughtrington areas. The main problem will be finding somewhere easy for both of you to get to work without having to go through the town centre!

I would suggest avoiding Latchford, Longford, Dallam, some parts of Orford (but some are nice!), some parts of Hood Manor/Great Sankey (but most is really nice), parts of Birchwood are nice, Gorse Covert is nice, right on the M62 but out on the Manchester side of town.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Prothet_of_Doom Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Avoid crossing the Mersey.
    Avoid Widnes and Warrington
    What about Liegh ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing