Justify it to me.

Options
I work away from home, which means I actually have 4 nights on my own in my digs, which are a business expence.

In the summer I cycle 2 nights a week, about an hour, mostly trails, (soft off road) and lots of back lanes.

But I do like to go to an indoor climbing wall locally.

Because I am a bit of a loner, I prefer to boulder on my own rather than try to get a partner, and do a bit of belaying. Also I'm not very trusting of other people to hold me.

I save the ropes for when my son is home from Uni and we go somewhere closer to home. I trust him.

So if I go bouldering it's £8. after 45 mins intensive vertical yoga, I'm dead. £8 is not good value for less than an hour. My mind compares it to an hour swimming at £4...So I probably go twice a month.

I know it's summer, but waht happens is that September Arrives and it's suddenly too dark to cycle in the evenings . I think in the winter I should go bouldering 4 nights a week, on the way back to my digs.

I can get a deal at £35 a month, no commitment, just a month in advance DD. But my brain says that's just short of £400 a year. (£370). and that's alot of money. It also thinks 90% of gym memberships are a waste because people never actually go and pay £40 a month for the privillage.

Now I have 2 questions.

1) The complex taxation question. Some large companies have all sorts of gym facilitities for employees. Is it something that affects their income tax as a taxable benefit? If your company paid membership, would this have to be declared to the HMRC?
If I booked myself into a hotel with a gym, It would be covered by my expences, but because I reduce my business costs by staying in digs, there is no Gym. So can I treat it as a 'being away from home expence" and pay it from company funds ?

2) The fitness vs Value question. Am I actually going to go at least 4 times a month to make it worth my while? Will this encourage me to go more or will I continue to make excuses not to go? (I didn't go monday because I was tired, didn't go tuesday because I had my VAT to do and PAYE. Wednesday was too hot, and today I feel too poor, so I'm going for a bike ride later)

Comments

• heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Have you looked at council gyms? I pay £28 a month and get the use of 4 gyms/pools, unlimited, and classes too.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • triticale
    triticale Posts: 771 Forumite
    Options
    I find that when you've already paid by way of a membership, it does make you actually go when you'd otherwise not bother.

Even if you don't feel full of energy you will generally feel better for going, even if you spend more time on the mat than the wall!

Can't help with the tax stuff, soz.
  • thunderbird
    Options
    I think if you enjoy it and have the money available, then there is not need to justify it - just do it!

I think if a company pays your gym membership then that would be a taxable benefit (I get 50% of mine paid but it is taxed. if you stay in a hotel on a business trip you don't get taxed according to what facilities it has.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    Well, I procrastinated, for 6 weeks, and last night, decided that I'd check out the T&C's. Basically, I can stop paying anytime I like (unlike gym membership which is effectively a credit agreement) So I'm going to try for a month and budget an hour a day monday to thursday. I'm also going to encourage a couple of old house mates to do the ropes course, and hopefully stop being a billy no mates on the bouldering walls, and try and make 1 day a regular rope session.
    Not putting it through business,

but If anyone knows of a hotel with a climbing wall, instead of a gym ?
  • thegirlintheattic
    Options
    For the climbing have you tried walls with auto-belays. Also bouldering is an intense workout - so is worth it even if you only do it for 45 mins. Do you have a climbing club near you?
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport