Offset Mortgages -- the Numbers

Options

Comments

• tip
    tip Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I've printed off the formula, I've printed off the spreadsheet. Haven't a clue how to use either really but it makes me feel organised having them! Thanks for all the useful info I've been gleening over the past weeks. I'm currently trying to find my best and hopefully last mortgage, only got another 7 years to go on the current one. Currently part interest only and part repayment, not yet decided whether to convert the endowment part. Does the offset formula allow for mixed mortgages?
    Anyway...thinking about offset as an option. In fact I recently did a mortgage review with crrent lender northern rock and I plumped for the offset mortgage. I was still unsure about the product so allowed the 7 day offer to lapse, thinking it really would still be there if I made up my mind to go for it.
    It's only 6 days after the lapse and I've just rung them to ask a few more questions about the product and they tell me they've discontinued it!
    Just wondered if you knew why? I'm just curious. Was it such a good deal that they thought better of it? Damn!
    And still thinking about offset but very nervous! Will have to start looking all over again now.... which means another month or so at 6.5%!
  • ccblinds
    ccblinds Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    IF I RAN MY BUSINESS ACCOUNT THROUGH THIS AND MY SAVINGS ON AN 80K MORTGAGE WHO WOULD BE THE BEST TO GO WITH IN YOUR OPINION???

DO THEY REALLY WORK OUT??

ITS A MINE FIELD :confused:

THANKS

DAVE
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,117 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    IF I RAN MY BUSINESS ACCOUNT THROUGH THIS AND MY SAVINGS ON AN 80K MORTGAGE WHO WOULD BE THE BEST TO GO WITH IN YOUR OPINION???

My Nat West business manager was telling me that you can use your business current account balance to offset your mortgage.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,117 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Currently part interest only and part repayment, not yet decided whether to convert the endowment part. Does the offset formula allow for mixed mortgages?

Generally you can offset on a repayment, endowment or mixed basis.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • LittleWoman_3
    Options
    I have very simple system with my mortgage. I have a tracker repayment mortgage with Bank of Scotland (no penalties, daily interest). I have my personal account with the Halifax. On a day my salary goes into my account, I pop into the Halifax, and ask them to transfer the balance from the day before (which obviously I didn't need as it was still there!) to my mortgage. (Simple to do, give them my account card and they do it in seconds). Additionally I get additional lumps from other investments (shares cashed etc) from time to time, and I pay that over to the mortgage. I have had the mortgage now 6 months and have reduced my 25 year repayment mortgage to 21 years already. I actually have access to the overpayments (they sent me a cheque book) at any time, so I don't have a problem paying any spare money I have straight onto the mortgage. I think it actually stops me from spending it, as I like the idea of paying off my mortgage. I just remind myself how much extra cash every month I'll have once it done! :beer:
  • mummytwinton
    Options
    help we had a mortgage consultant see us yesterday & we are now more worried than ever. we have the virgin one account house worth 195,000 mortgage £67,000 for now as we have £20,000 on 0% credit card for 12 months. also have car loan £3500 left to pay over 2 years. he told us to add all together ie £91,000 on to a normal mortgage. trouble is we like the flexilility of the one account & as we are only paying interest on £67,000 at the mow i can't see how paying a mortgage on £91,000 would be cheaper. i do have a friend who was on martins show & had a virgin account but doesn't now

i'm sorry i can't work out the tips on this site would anyone be so kind as to help.

he will add 1.95% of our new mortgage amount onto our mortgage for their charge??
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Reported as spam
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • chris1978_2
    chris1978_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    HELP!!!

My current mortgage offer with the Woolwich is due to expire in August. They have sent me a list of "offers" that I can move onto but our situation has now changed and we have a little in savings and no real other debt to speak of.

I took a look at the One Account site and their calculator makes the whole offset thing seem very exciting. WIthout pushing ourslves a great deal we could cut our term by more than half. The thing that put me off were their startup fees of £750 which I found a little extreme.

I have checked the Woolwich website and they also have an offset mortgage but no calculator to show how I could reduce the term. Does anybody know if their offset mortgage is comparible with the One Account? Also, has anybody had any recent horror stories with these offset type mortgages? Finally, Do they work???!!!

My hope was that if the Woolwich was comparible I'd be able to skip the whole valuation part of the application and save on fees.

Thanks for your help
    Chris
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    @chris1978
    You are probably not calculating things correctly if you think you will be better off on an offset with no savings. More likely you are in debt. Perhaps you have savings. Let the forum know of your current situation. Perhaps others can help.
    J_B.
  • chris1978_2
    chris1978_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Joe_Bloggs wrote:
    @chris1978
    You are probably not calculating things correctly if you think you will be better off on an offset with no savings. More likely you are in debt. Perhaps you have savings. Let the forum know of your current situation. Perhaps others can help.
    J_B.

Joe, thanks for replying. We have some savings - around £10k and around £2k of debt which should be out of the way before the end of the year.

I guess my main questions are whether using your offset account as your current account makes any real difference and if you don't have a great deal to offset are you penalising yourself further with higher rates?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure