fix old bike or get a new one Hybrid or Folding bike

Options
2»

Comments

• joolsybools
    joolsybools Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Options
    It would be good to know the town OP lives in if he/she is happy to share then we might be able to recommend some basic bike maintenance classes or a decent local bike shop.

OP - it is good to learn how to do some of the simpler jobs yourself on the bike, but it's ok to use the services of a bike shop too - it has to be whatever you are comfy with.

Have you used your bike a lot? I too would be surprised if the cables need changing. Did they say if they mean the brake cables or both the brake cables and gear cables?

You can also work out yourself if the chain needs replacing by measuring a part of it - I will try to dig out a link shortly. Changing a chain is quite an easy job that you could probably do yourself but it does need a special tool (a chain tool which costs a few quid).
  • joolsybools
    Options
    This is quite a good link re measuring chain wear. You might have a quicklink on your chain - if so you won't need a chain tool to break the chain.

http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/chain_length_calculator.htm
  • ev70
    ev70 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    After two years I would expect the chain to have worn down. If the bike has been left outside for some time rust would have set in on the chain and cables. For these to work properly these should be rust free.

The "wobbly bit" between the pedals is called the bottom bracket. Depending on the type fitted it and what damage if any it could be adjusted or overhauled. Being that this is a cheap-ish bike I would expect the bottom bracket to be adjustable. If it does need repair work expect anything from a couple of pounds for spares to £30 for a complete replacement.

The prices given by the first bike shop and Halfords sound like good starting prices for the wheel. The exact price would depend on which wheel you finally choose.

You can do much of the work yourself it you want to invest your time and money into getting tools and learning how to do the job correctly.
  • dandelionclock30
    dandelionclock30 Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2013 at 9:00AM
    Options
    I was under the impression that most bottom brackets now are sealed units on modern bikes?. I know that you need a special tool to get one off the bike.

Also if a chain is really worn down then often the cassette will need changing too. What can happen if a new chain is put on a old worn cassette is that the gears wont change properly and it jumps.

One of the problems with DIY bike maintaince, is having all the correct tools for the job. A lot of the easier jobs on a bike can be done with a multi tool, but not all and a decent tool kit is expensive.

I personally dont think any job on the bike is hard exactly its just that you need to understand what your doing and be shown and have the right tools.

OP, if you decide you cant do the jobs on it yourself and if its going to cost a lot to get a bike shop to sort it out then I would sell it on Gumtree/Ebay for parts and go to Decathalon and get one of their bikes which are reasonable.
    I personally wouldnt spend over a £100 on your current bike. Also whatever you decide to do keep your bike inside not outside as it will either rot or be stolen.
    Good luck with it.

Theres also the Park Tools website which has videos http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help.
  • jay213
    jay213 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A big thank you to everybody for your help and advice.

I haven't been on here for a few days but a couple of days ago I was on the halfords site for some reason and noticed that they had a flash sale for the bike I was thinking of getting last time they had it for £250; the Carrera Subway Hybrid Bike 2011/2012. They had it for £250 again so I thought I would purchase it to save time as I got some resit work to do for one of my modules and when I start researching things I get abit obsessed, wanting to find out everything.

I got it now so I might try and fix the old one up after my hand in date early next month and then sell it on. Plus I'm going to have to make sure I carry out maintenance on the new bike too. I probably need to find some info about that.

Thanks for all the links posted, I'll check them out to hopefully get clued up. I might be back when I start sorting it out.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    It's worth keeping an eye out for Dr Bike sessions - these are usually sponsored by the council and involve trained mechanics doing small repairs and maintenance for free. Google 'Dr Bike' and your town to see if there's anything going on near you. BikeRadar also have some really good videos on their website to talk you through learning how to repair and maintain your bike.
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • joolsybools
    Options
    jay213 wrote: »
    A big thank you to everybody for your help and advice.

I haven't been on here for a few days but a couple of days ago I was on the halfords site for some reason and noticed that they had a flash sale for the bike I was thinking of getting last time they had it for £250; the Carrera Subway Hybrid Bike 2011/2012. They had it for £250 again so I thought I would purchase it to save time as I got some resit work to do for one of my modules and when I start researching things I get abit obsessed, wanting to find out everything.

I got it now so I might try and fix the old one up after my hand in date early next month and then sell it on. Plus I'm going to have to make sure I carry out maintenance on the new bike too. I probably need to find some info about that.

Thanks for all the links posted, I'll check them out to hopefully get clued up. I might be back when I start sorting it out.

Halfords were doing a trade in offer for 20% (?) off last week or the week before - might be worth checking out.

Also see if there are any basic maintenance classes in your local area. Evans were doing them a while ago and might still be...it's well worth learning how to do the basics such as changing brake pads yourself.

Enjoy the new bike!
  • joolsybools
    Options
    Looks like Evans are still doing classes http://www.evanscycles.com/servicing/bike-maintenance-classes
  • dandelionclock30
    dandelionclock30 Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2013 at 6:27AM
    Options
    Look this is really cheap and you'll then be able to do all the jobs on you bike yourself.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TOJWTK/jobsworth_tool_kit.

Enjoy your new bike it looks really nice from the website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure