Spiking generation

Options
mickyduck
mickyduck Posts: 334 Forumite
edited 11 July 2013 at 9:52AM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
https://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?page=0786c32c-0ae8-4671-a50c-fa0f603f061e&plant=d05829e5-eac5-4c41-8428-f497616c5bbb&splang=en-US

strange how this regularly spikes then drops. Can anyone explain what is happening. I assume its something to do with the inverter as obviously cannot be the sun / cloud :)
3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mickyduck wrote: »
    https://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?page=0786c32c-0ae8-4671-a50c-fa0f603f061e&plant=d05829e5-eac5-4c41-8428-f497616c5bbb&splang=en-US

strange how this regularly spikes then drops. Can anyone explain what is happening. I assume its something to do with the inverter as obviously cannot be the sun / cloud :)

Hiya, if it's not the weather, is there any chance that the inverter is shutting down? Two possibilities;

1. Overheating, is it located anywhere that is very hot. Need to check the inverter specs, but possibly reduces it's output from around 40C upwards. Just checked and SMA say it's temp range is up to 60C, but I can't find info on the temp when it starts to reduce output to protect itself.

2. Over-voltage on the grid. The grid should run at 230V (-6% +10%). The inverter might/should shutdown if grid voltage goes over a set amount. My SE2200 did start switching off one day, when grid voltage hit 253V (+10%). If this is the problem, then it might be possible to change the point it shuts off 'IF' it's been set below 253V. Some can be set even higher, but I'm not sure if that's permitted by our DNO's. Your SB4000TL should display/report what the grid voltage is.

Hopefully it's neither of those options, and something much simpler.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • mickyduck
    Options
    Hi Martyn
    Thanks for the reply
    if you scroll back a couple of days (hover mouse over bottom diagram left edge until arrow appears then click) you will see it very dramatically illustrated on the 8 and 9 July where the weather was perfect. Inverter located in Garage so not overly hot......... certainly not as hot as it would have been in my loft.
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Note that the generated power - kW - is a nice smooth (ish) curve.
    The integrated kWh measures are screwy in several ways.

Firstly - for it to be total yield - it should be a line, rising over the course of the day, not closely following the generation curve, as is clearly ridiculous.
    Similar to the green area in http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=22852&sid=20740&dt=20130711&gs=0&m=0

Ah - reading the graph more closely including the mouseover indicates it's kWh over 15 minute periods.

Secondly, the spiking.
    My first guess would be that this is entirely a data problem, brought about by improper averaging of the submitted data.
    It's - IMO - way too regular for something like the inverter overloading - which would never, ever be _that_ consistent,

Mousing over the graphs over several days reveals more oddness.
    If you look carefully at the graphs, you see that the 'paired' data is quite obvious, even as generation drops - however it stops at some point.
    A few moments inspection shows that it's not changing at a given yield.
    However, it is exhibiting this behaviour at between 9AM and 7:15PM - whatever the generated outputs between this time.

Is there any alternate way to get data out of the inverter?
  • mickyduck
    Options
    Hi don't know if I can collect the data any other way this comes via my Sunny Webbox... I think its probably a data collection issue as if I only collect it hourly theses spikes are not apparent, I only recently switched it to 15 mins hence the reason I have just noticed this anomaly.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I agree with Roger - it looks like a timing issue to me .... something like aggregating x data readings in one period & x+1 in the next caused by misaligned clock settings with differing collection frequencies between different pieces of kit would certainly cause a similar effect.

I haven't looked at the specs of the Sunny WebBox since before we had our system and the only member who I can think of who has one is Freejuice and I haven't seen a post from him(?) for a while ... the pdf manual (http://www.sma.de/en/products/monitoring-systems/sunny-webbox.html#Downloads-9251) isn't loading correctly on my machine at the moment, but if you have access to a copy check for setting the unit time, also look at the time on your inverter .... don't do this whilst you're generating, wait until after sundown else you'll likely either get a data gap or a really large spike !

Just a guess ... :)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd agree, I too think it may be a problem with the difference between the reading interval on the inverter and that of the sampling graph. For instance if the inverter sends a reading of the power generated every 2 minutes then in one 15 minute interval there may be seven readings summed together and in the next 15 minutes there would be 8 readings. If you look at the figures, there is a roughly 7:8 ratio of the low to high readings. If you are able, can you ask for readings every 10 or 20 minutes?

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • mickyduck
    Options
    I'd agree, I too think it may be a problem with the difference between the reading interval on the inverter and that of the sampling graph. For instance if the inverter sends a reading of the power generated every 2 minutes then in one 15 minute interval there may be seven readings summed together and in the next 15 minutes there would be 8 readings. If you look at the figures, there is a roughly 7:8 ratio of the low to high readings. If you are able, can you ask for readings every 10 or 20 minutes?

Dave F
    The reading interval is only selectable at 15 mins or an hour... so reset to hourly and have a nice smooth curve, thanks for the responses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure