We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Get a mortgage now if you want to fix

Options
"Now is still the time to get a mortgage if you want to fix, despite base rate being unlikely to rise any time soon..."
Read the full story:

Get a mortgage now if you want to fix

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• jam
    jam Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    The obvious reason not to fix is if you're on a cheap rate now and don't expect fixes to become more expensive soon.

For example, leaving a low rate now for a cheap 10 year fix would result in 10 "cheap" years, but if rates are high in 10 years could then see you having (say) 5 expensive years.

The alternative is 5 years now on a low rate, then (possibly) a cheap 10 year fix so 15 good years.

I'm not saying this is what will happen, or on these timescales but there are clearly good reasons not to fix even if you think rates aren't going to get cheaper.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    jam wrote: »
    The obvious reason not to fix is if you're on a cheap rate now and don't expect fixes to become more expensive soon.

For example, leaving a low rate now for a cheap 10 year fix would result in 10 "cheap" years, but if rates are high in 10 years could then see you having (say) 5 expensive years.

The alternative is 5 years now on a low rate, then (possibly) a cheap 10 year fix so 15 good years.

I'm not saying this is what will happen, or on these timescales but there are clearly good reasons not to fix even if you think rates aren't going to get cheaper.
    But the risk is that when you come to fix the fixed rates might have become more expensive. So you could end up with 5 cheap years followed by 10 expensive years.
    I'm not saying that that means everyone should fix, just that there is a danger in not fixing.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,139 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mortage broker in 'now is the time to remortgage' shock!
    I think....
  • shortchanged_2
    shortchanged_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Options
    This advice from the broker who advised people to take out the biggest interest only mortgage they could a few years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport