We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Student Loan exempt from BR - should I declare it on forms?

Options
2»

Comments

• NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree I was in the last year of the grants system, the people coming through after were facing a mess and large debts. If I remember rightly they had to pay £1,000 course fees.

BH - for some reason (largely based on some of the things you say) I thought you were a 50 year old woman - I now find you're the same age as me. I was the last to go through the grants system too. i did rack up a huge amount of debt on a Master and PhD though. Uck!

To the OP - I have started repayments on my student loan even though I don't earn enough to 'officially' do so. I'd rather that than give the surplus to the OR. My repayments are £142 a month , and the OR has okayed this. I figure the sooner I am out of debt, the better. :D
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    Student loans are run by SLC and HSL as far as I was aware they couldn't be written off and don't expire after 6 years.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    If the student loan is passed on to a DCA, they act for the SLC.
    The SLC remain the owners of the debt. There is no getting out of it as far as I know.

EDIT: Just found an old letter from CapQuest DCA. It says "Cheques or postal orders payable to The Student Loans Company", so the DCA was simply acting for the SLC.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport