Help, need suggestions on how to decorate concrete posts

Hi, I'm getting married on the 19th July with only 7 weeks to plan it, we have got a lovely hall but there are some ugly upright concrete posts just outside, I'm tearing my hair out, trying to find some cheap ideas to try and disguise them and make them look pretty. Any suggestions, pictures or links would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• koneko
    koneko Posts: 105 Forumite
    Could you get some extra wide organza type ribbon and wrap it round?
    If it doesn’t move, and it should, use WD-40. If it moves, and it shouldn’t, use duct tape!
  • Mrs_Huggett
    Mrs_Huggett Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How wide are they? Maybe some sort of tree like a bay in a pot, or a box topiary spiral, you could try artificial ones maybe? Or a couple of very informal looking floral arrangements with a lot of greenery in very very tall containers, try looking around any junk yards in your area for something different, if you put something in front like this then the eye will be drawn to it, if you try to disguise the posts be putting stuff on them then the eye will be drawn to them, and that would defeat the object.
  • There are six of them holding the outside cover up, the inside has been redecorated beautiful and there is a lovely field outside, it's just the columns let it down :(
  • Mrs_Huggett
    Mrs_Huggett Posts: 377 Forumite
    Wow! six of the blighters!So what we need is free....how about ivy collected from somewhere that is overgrown with it, please find out who owns the land first, and only cut the growth that is hanging loose, in easily removed lengths, don't pull at it as there may be small birds nesting in there at this time of year, so you may need to find a couple of places that have it growing, some people will be glad you are helping to cut it back a little, do you have anyone that can sort this out for you the day before,if you keep it in the shade and cool it will last OK. starting at the bottom couple of feet, using two pairs of hands (haha) lay the ivy against the post and wrap twine round the post near the top couple of inches of ivy, secure, add more round the post if you need to, dont go too mad, just a few bits will be fine, then moving up the post by a couple more feet repeat the process, letting this ivy hang over the first tied end of the first ivy, again moving up by a couple of feet repeat the process again, and at the top, which should be around six feet off the ground tie a large bow in the fabric of your choice, tulle or net or chiffon, don't skimp on this as it will show! This fabric will cover the cut ends of your last row or section of ivy, if I was there I could show you what I mean, or do it for you! Good luck and I'm sure others will come along with more ideas!
  • Candy53
    Candy53 Posts: 2,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Reed fencing.

You can cut it to the size u want, and it looks nice. My daughter used it as cheap fencing and it looked really effective.

I have horrible round posts and I wrapped some of this round them.

Candy
    What goes around, comes around.
  • surfbunnyuk
    surfbunnyuk Posts: 22 Forumite
    Thanks everyone, you have put a smile back on my face :)
  • surfbunnyuk
    surfbunnyuk Posts: 22 Forumite
    Wow! six of the blighters!So what we need is free....how about ivy collected from somewhere that is overgrown with it, please find out who owns the land first, and only cut the growth that is hanging loose, in easily removed lengths, don't pull at it as there may be small birds nesting in there at this time of year, so you may need to find a couple of places that have it growing, some people will be glad you are helping to cut it back a little, do you have anyone that can sort this out for you the day before,if you keep it in the shade and cool it will last OK. starting at the bottom couple of feet, using two pairs of hands (haha) lay the ivy against the post and wrap twine round the post near the top couple of inches of ivy, secure, add more round the post if you need to, dont go too mad, just a few bits will be fine, then moving up the post by a couple more feet repeat the process, letting this ivy hang over the first tied end of the first ivy, again moving up by a couple of feet repeat the process again, and at the top, which should be around six feet off the ground tie a large bow in the fabric of your choice, tulle or net or chiffon, don't skimp on this as it will show! This fabric will cover the cut ends of your last row or section of ivy, if I was there I could show you what I mean, or do it for you! Good luck and I'm sure others will come along with more ideas!

What a fab idea, I can actually visualise it :j
  • lettice
    lettice Posts: 63 Forumite
    Could you use outdoor fairy lights to wrap around the pillars?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure