M&S ads on FB in the last hour alongside inappropriate content

Options

Comments

• floart
    floart Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    These are the Sky pics from last week that they didn't want anyone to know about. https://twitter.com/anthony_hemsley/status/350137030409347072/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/anthony_hemsley/status/350136102969044992/photo/1

Pretended it was a hate speech issue. Really it was M&S and Sky ads next to child sexual abuse pages on Facebook. The public had a right to know that. Now M&S are back advertising and falling foul of the Facebook idiots who cannot control the thousands of pages of abuse on the network.
  • floart
    Options
    There is a video on Facebook of an 8 month old baby being beaten with a cushion, slapped and kicked. Over and over gain. They refuse to remove it. Here are companies ads alongside a screenshot of it https://twitter.com/anthony_hemsley/status/349805007144644608/photo/1
  • floart
    Options
    Ask BSkyB why they didn't let the public know so that we could all boycott Facebook too!!!
  • Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2013 at 2:53PM
    Options
    They're sponsored advertising so would show up no matter what page you're looking at. They've paid for the advertising space, that's all. The big companies aren't going to sit there and scroll through all all the pages on Facebook and threaten to remove their advertising because of a handful of pages are inappropriate. Nobody would know if these companies advertisements next to these pages unless they were looking at these pages themselves. In fact, some of these pages only have a handful of likes, so how the hell did the person on Facebook find them in the first place, unless they were specifically looking for them?
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You didn't censor your name before posting?!

These companies are sponsoring facebook the entity, not each individual page!
  • floart
    Options
    Why would I? I sent these to the CEO explaining that they would be made public. After last week when they pulled their joint ad with Sky and said that they were boycotting advertising until Facebook had sufficient measures in place to prevent any of their 'user targeted' ads appearing next to such content, they then start indiscriminantly advertising again. Sky are boycotting Facebook for the content their 'user targeted' ads appear alongside so M&S must do the same.
  • Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options
    So it's YOU who was searching for these groups! And in turn, pushing their website traffic up which will make them more apparent to other users?? Why on earth were you looking for them in the first place?!

On my friends Facebook, Blooduk is advertising against their own page. The company doesn't endorse my friend, believe in my friend, or even care about my friend. It means they've paid for advertising space in that column, which will appear next to all pages.

Your comments are pointless. You need to stop wasting your energy on trying to blacklist the major companies, and maybe put more of your effort into getting these pages banned.
  • floart
    edited 27 June 2013 at 9:32PM
    Options
    What a cheap shot, shame on you. Groups such as #opcleanup on Facebook are publishing lists of such pages daily and carrying out mass reportings and DOS attacks on these pages to get them taken down, as Facebook are unwilling or incapable of doing so. I am part of the group 'Facebooks other blind eye' which is affiliated with the larger group Global Alliance against Minor Exploitation (G.A.M.E.). Look it up on Facebook and see the extent of this issue. This is why BSkyB pulled their advertising campaign last week, because Facebook just cannot get a grip of the proliferation of child sexual abuse content on their network.

Irrespective of whether this advertising is 'user targeted' or not, the algorithm that Facebook use to target the companies desired demographic should never allow a companies ad to be displayed alongside such content.

In case you missed that http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jun/21/facebook-hate-speech-sky-ad-boycott

As you will see, it is being wrongly reported as being due to their ad being next to hate speech as BSkyB declined to comment on what the content was. If you look at the two links in the posts above then you will see what the cause of their boycott is; their ad with M&S logo on next to pages containing images of naked and semi-naked young boys in sexually suggestive and provocative poses.

If you want further proof then give me an email address and I will forward you the emails from M&S. Also, my partner and I had a story run about our findsings in the Sunday Mirror last week which they intened to be an ongoing story looking at what Facebook are doing to resolve this major problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure