Pension spit on divorce?

Options
I am receipt of my pension at an younger age than norm (54) due to losing my job. In Aug 2012 I paid £40k off the mortgage with my lump sum and used the rest in Oct to replace the windows in the house even though I wanted to save some for a rainy day, my wife insisted it was a good thing to do. She then dropped the bombshell in Nov saying she wanted us to split up, and even after Relate she is of the same mindset. I recently found out that in July 2012 she talked to a friend who was going through the same, but her ex moved out and rented until their daughter is 18 when she will sell the house and split the equity (a Meecher agreement). My wife expected me to do that but I pointed out that : I was 10 years older than her friends, our children are 10 years younger (I would be 68) before I would see any money, I could nopt afford to rent as I only recieve £950pcm pension. I am trying for another job, but until I get one she has agreed to wait so we are still living in the same house.
I am happy to split the equity(there is about £240k) and she would transfer the £65k mortgage into her name enabling her to get a 3 bed place and me a two bed flat. If she says no to this can I ask for the £40k back to be negoiated seperatly as it is pension and then mediation for the rest. At the end of the day I need somewhere to live and have my childeren (8 &5) when I have them at weekends, or is that money now swallowed up in the house.
I do not know what to do as if I wanted to get nasty I could ask for the CETV of her 25 years service with Barclays which she will get in 15 years time plus let her take on half of my debts which I am happy to keep out of the discussions.
Sorry to go on - Thank you

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family