BBQ - Patio Gas cylinders - cheapest way

Options
What is the cheapest option for gas cylinders?

I've just done a search, but it's not been discussed for several years (with this fabulous summer I'm surprised there aren't more thread on it haha).

Back in 2009, advice was to get an empty gas cylinder from a local rubbish tip, and companies would exchange it for a new full one, thereby removing the need to pay deposit (about £30-35). But my local council website says gas cylinders cannot be disposed of there - has this changed in the last 4 years? Is there any easy way to get a free or cheap empty cylinder to avoid paying the hefty deposit?

Also, does anyone know which company is cheaper for the refills? In 2009, they were saying Homebase BP Gas was cheaper than Calor, but that certainly seems to be the other way round now. :/

Comments

• Phreaky
    Phreaky Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I would also like to know this!
  • Zeerust
    Zeerust Posts: 40 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just updated my BBQ and the new one has a propane regulator (orange) which will not fit on my butane bottle, it's empty so will need a refill.

When I go for a refill will they swap the butane bottle for a propane bottle?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,930 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 June 2013 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Zeerust wrote: »
    I've just updated my BBQ and the new one has a propane regulator (orange) which will not fit on my butane bottle, it's empty so will need a refill.

When I go for a refill will they swap the butane bottle for a propane bottle?

Yes if its the same make ie if your old cannister is Calor Gas then you can swap for any size or colour of Calor Gas, if its Flo Gas then you can change for any size or colour of Flo Gas.

99% of bbq's now use Patio gas though and not Butane or Propane anymore.

Hope that makes sense?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sarah1972
    Options
    scarletjim wrote: »
    What is the cheapest option for gas cylinders?

I've just done a search, but it's not been discussed for several years (with this fabulous summer I'm surprised there aren't more thread on it haha).

Back in 2009, advice was to get an empty gas cylinder from a local rubbish tip, and companies would exchange it for a new full one, thereby removing the need to pay deposit (about £30-35). But my local council website says gas cylinders cannot be disposed of there - has this changed in the last 4 years? Is there any easy way to get a free or cheap empty cylinder to avoid paying the hefty deposit?

Also, does anyone know which company is cheaper for the refills? In 2009, they were saying Homebase BP Gas was cheaper than Calor, but that certainly seems to be the other way round now. :/

My local tip is full of old Calor Gas bottles but the guys want a back hander of £30 for them ! I would check your local freecycle or what I did was put a request on Facebook and one of my friends gave me one that was in her garden for years.

My local hire centre told me yesterday when I went to swap my empty patio gas for a new one that Calor Gas set the prices so you wont ever get it any cheaper and quite often more expensive.

I called Calor and 5 other places and sure enough it was £29.99 for 13kg Patio Gas at everyone I called.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Zeerust
    Zeerust Posts: 40 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes if its the same make ie if your old cannister is Calor Gas then you can swap for any size or colour of Calor Gas, if its Flo Gas then you can change for any size or colour of Flo Gas.

99% of bbq's now use Patio gas though and not Butane or Propane anymore.

Hope that makes sense?

Just been to Morrisons Garage, they stock Calor gas. My old bottle is Johnston's, so they would not do a swap.

I looked at some of the Patio gas bottles and it looked like the regulator (the orange one for propane) would not fit ... could not be sure, but what fitting is on the Patio gas bottles?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • sarah1972
    Options
    Zeerust wrote: »
    Just been to Morrisons Garage, they stock Calor gas. My old bottle is Johnston's, so they would not do a swap.

I looked at some of the Patio gas bottles and it looked like the regulator (the orange one for propane) would not fit ... could not be sure, but what fitting is on the Patio gas bottles?

They wont swop a Johnstons for a Calor, they will only swap Calor for Calor or Johnstons for Johnstons.

Calor Patio Gas has a 27mm valve which needs a 27mm regulator.
    http://www.calor.co.uk/customer-services/faqs/regulator-guide/patio-gas-cylinders/
  • horne65
    horne65 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options

I now have more than enough Calor bottles than I have use for.

The easiest and by far the cheapest way to find Calor bottles is to go to areas where Travellers have been moved from, ( not whilst they are still there). They have a tendency to leave huge amounts of rubbish wherever they have been as well as several Calor bottles some of which will be huge but can still be exchanged for smaller bottles.

The second way to find Calor bottles is in your local free ads papers or internet publications or on auction sites. The only downfall with this is you have to pay a couple of pounds for the bottles and you always have to go and collect them in person.

• nom_de_plume
    Options
    Thread bump....

Some gas bottle bargains to be had on ebay. Just picked up a full one for half the price of a bottle plus deposit.
  • sarah1972
    Options
    Thread bump....

Some gas bottle bargains to be had on ebay. Just picked up a full one for half the price of a bottle plus deposit.

Not sure I would trust a full one on Ebay just incase it has been filled incorrectly or with the wrong gas.

I would, however buy an empty canister and then go and swap it for a full one at my local dealers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure