Help - increased contributions question

Options
Current higher rate tax payer - How do I understand if an increase in contribution to personal pension is a good move?
Net contribution is £235 being offered to increase by another £166.
What should I be looking at to work out if this increase is something I should do?
Thanks

Comments

• Set1
    Set1 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    So is it always prudent to increase contributions, as the company increases their contributions.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,006 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is always worth paying whatever you need to get the maximum employer contribution. Whether it is worth contributing to the company pension beyond that point is another question altogether.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Set1 wrote: »
    So is it always prudent to increase contributions, as the company increases their contributions.

You are asking if it is prudent to increase your savings/investments. Does that really need an answer?

Anything you put aside for a rainy day, medium term and long term is a good thing.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Set1
    Options
    The increase would be to 10% gross employer contribution from 5.2% - money cost is £166 net
    I presume it is a minefield as to whether the company pension is a good performer.
    Just want to make sure it's not money down the drain, i.e. would property be a better bet, guess that's a big question!
  • Set1
    Options
    Well I guess people thought that putting money into investments was a good idea when they bought endowments in the 80's!
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Well I guess people thought that putting money into investments was a good idea when they bought endowments in the 80's!

Most endowments paid out figures in excess of cash savings. The problem with most wasnt what they made. It was target growth rates that were unrealistic. You cannot really compare products of that era with modern options available today.
    I presume it is a minefield as to whether the company pension is a good performer.

The pension doesnt make any money. The investment funds you choose do that.
    Just want to make sure it's not money down the drain, i.e. would property be a better bet, guess that's a big question!

Property does not benefit from free money from employer, higher rate tax relief and no CGT to pay. Most conventional equity based investments have exceeded property returns over most medium to long term timescales.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to put as much in, as will get you the max employers contributions.

On top of that, you probably want to put in as much income above your 40% threshold as is left after you take into acct the current pension contribs. If this should be in your employers scheme, or a seperate one will depend on many things incl charges, funds available, and salary sacrifice.

A BTL would not give you employer's contribs, nor 40% tax relief so would not be a good choice in this context.
  • Set1
    Options
    I would be looking/hoping that the £166 per month x 10-15 years would give me a better return than investment in a property. I suppose the increased "free" money from the employer would outweigh my return on a property, which I would see as doubling over that time scale?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Set1 wrote: »
    I would be looking/hoping that the £166 per month x 10-15 years would give me a better return than investment in a property. I suppose the increased "free" money from the employer would outweigh my return on a property, which I would see as doubling over that time scale?

It is highly unlikely property would double in price in that time period. It is also highly unlikely a regular contribution would double the amount paid in as well. However, if you want to treat the tax relief on the pension at 40% as extra free money then doubling of your personal net contribution is certainly plausible on the pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure