Pension annuity

Options
Hi

I have a pension that was taken out in 1987 and is a section 226 personal retirement account. My question is does the policy have a guaranteed annuity rate. In the policy documents it states that appropriate immediate annuity rate used in this quotation will apply at the pension age.

If any one can help it will be most appreciated

Many thanks

plumbers

Comments

• mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    S226 (more commonly known as a Retirement Annuity Contract) will quite often contain Guaranteed Annuity Rates.

This, of course, is especially valuable now as we're experience low Annuity rates.

Only way to be sure is to either speak to an IFA, or simply call the provider.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    or even look at your previous paperwork.

Do get back when you know.
  • plumbers
    Options
    Hi

Have spoken to provider and they are not much help I was hoping someone might know what ; The appropriate immediate annuity rate used in this quotation shall apply at pension age ; means. I dont really want to go to an IFA if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

plumbers
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have spoken to provider and they are not much help I was hoping someone might know what ; The appropriate immediate annuity rate used in this quotation shall apply at pension age ; means. I dont really want to go to an IFA if possible.

You either ask the provider or get an IFA to do it for you. No-one here can answer your question as we dont have product details.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • GhIFA
    GhIFA Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    plumbers wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

plumbers

Rather than ask them specifically what this phrase means, just ask if there are Guaranteed Annuity Rates, or any other Guarantees that apply. If the person you speak to can't answer, then you need to escalate to someone more senior who can.

We can't tell you, we don't know any of the details of your plan.
    I am an IFA. Any comments made on this forum are provided for information only and should not be construed as advice. Should you need advice on a specific area then please consult a local IFA.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    appropriate immediate annuity rate used in this quotation will apply at the pension age.

Is there an amount or rate actually set out in the quotation?
  • plumbers
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for replying

In the quotation it says that if the fund value for instance is £144,481 it will provide a pension of £17,022 or a tax free lump sum of £40,000 and a pension of 12,309. It gives other figures for differing fund values but they are all about 11.8% of the fund value.

Thank you in advance if you can throw any light on this.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's your answer so guarantee is valuable, your probably getting three times the open market rate so don't give it up. The lump sum conversion or commutation rate is about the same so assuming all things being equal take the pension without a lump sum.
  • GhIFA
    GhIFA Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    Double check with the provider. Also, the assumption has been made that you are taking this plan at the age stated at the outset. If you are not (taking it early for example) be VERY careful - any guarantee may only apply at the selected retirement age.
    I am an IFA. Any comments made on this forum are provided for information only and should not be construed as advice. Should you need advice on a specific area then please consult a local IFA.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's quite possible that the guaranteed annuity rate applies only to one sort of annuity. For example it may apply only to a single life annuity. Suppose, for instance, you want an annuity with an attached widow's annuity. Then a good idea can be to take the annuity that's on offer (because the rate is so good) and then spend some of the extra income on life insurance to provide for your widow.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport