PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Less is more?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Galtizz wrote:
    They're the same as the ones that don't have time to cook food from scratch because they're too busy - going to yoga classes and the like because they want to be 'healthy' :wall:

That made me really laugh :D ... don't you just know it :rotfl:

It kinda reminds me of something, going back a few years now mind, where me and a mate decided to go swimming regularly to keep fit, then afterwards we'd pile into the pub for a pint of lager and bag of crisps :doh:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Galtizz wrote:
    They're the same as the ones that don't have time to cook food from scratch because they're too busy - going to yoga classes and the like because they want to be 'healthy' :wall:
    Well said Loadsabob and Curry_Queen, it's all about priorities :T in days gone by food was the first thing out of every budget (no matter how small the budget) now it's often the last thing (after the Sky, Playstation etc. etc.)

That's where I can't reduce my monthly food budget to pay the other bills....it's the first one on my list...and as such gets the lions share of money....till the end of the month when the bills have to be paid.... :rotfl:

I lurve my food though!!!!!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Murtle wrote:
    That's where I can't reduce my monthly food budget to pay the other bills....it's the first one on my list...and as such gets the lions share of money....till the end of the month when the bills have to be paid.... :rotfl:

I lurve my food though!!!!!

You're like me Murtle and my food bill is my priority, not only cos I want to provide a healthy diet for my son, but also cos I'm a bit of a foodie at heart, and not only do I enjoy eating it but also cooking it, and it's about my only pleasure in life, sad cow I am LOL!

If I have a bit of spare cash I'm more likely to spend it on a couple of luxury ingredients to try out than a dvd or PS2 game ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• xbox
    xbox Posts: 7,797 Forumite
    Options
    Pal wrote:
    This thread echo's my thoughts on the subject. I have always felt nervous.......
    When you are having a break from MSE.com, take a look at RiverCottage.net and the forums there. A great deal of information about seasonal and ethical cooking using high quality ingredients.
    :j

I'm a "newbie" to Old Style, but a long term "watcher" of the site - to say that I'm shocked, stunned and amazed that I find myself agreeing with Pal is an understatement! :p
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: @ xbox
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HI,
    I have just read the first few comments about cheap meat. I have been going along this road of buying cheaper and cheaper meat and did not think about what was in it.

I don't feel that I can afford organic meat but I will definately look into buying British meat as from what I have just read "British is Best" and it should have less chemicals in it. I am going to check out Waitrose mince (sorry everyone I love to eat my mince and there is not a butcher in my town that I can go to that will make up the mince for me) and see if this is mince from Brisish farmers. It is nor expensive that the Tesco mince but I will pay a bit more for a bit less chemicals.

Thanks
    Christin
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Filigree

I have never heard of butchers selling only to "favoured" customers. Could you not find another butcher? Even if "across town" it might pay you to go once in a while & stock your freezer. They might even deliver! Or you could buy online and stock your freezer.

Also Cristin's post was about having better quality, less often, rather than organic every day.

You don't need to buy organic. Free-range or traditionally reared may well be raised to "organic" standards, it's just that the farmer has not converted to the Soil Association's standard - which takes time and money.

The above are just friendly suggestions, should you wish to pursue the "Less quantity, more quality" meat route.

:)

"LEss quantity and more quality" sounds good to me. I am currently trying to eat less meat at home for the family because I have found that meat-less meals cost less. The money I save could then go on better quality meat. I could even try to eat organic meat once in a while.

I like the idea of travelling for a butcher and stocking up the freezer. I am going to take the train and bus around my town and see if there is a butcher that I can go to to get locally grown food.

If that does not work I will start looking at the small print on the meat in the supermarket to see where the food is produced/grown/reared. :rotfl:
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport