PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cabbage and apple to use up - ideas pls

Options
Morning all.

I am making a Pork, Honey and Mustard Casserole for lunch. I was going to serve it with brown rice.

I have some apples and a white cabbage that could do with using up. Any suggestions for a side dish to go with the casserole. I have plenty of store cupboard spices vinegars etc.

I also have a few tired looking leeks that could be thrown into the mix.
Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j

Comments

• fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    not a side dish but do you have enough apples to make a crumble? thats what i do with mine when i have extra or any that need using up
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • Bruja_2
    Bruja_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, no ideas for the cabbage and apples, but the casserole sounds lovely, can you give us the recipe please>
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    Bit late for your lunch now, but apples go really well with cabbage. I'd just lightly fry slices of apple until pale gold then chuck in the shredded cabbage and give it another couple of minutes. Finish off with a sprinkling of sesame seeds or pine nuts.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    You could make coleslaw with the cabbage and apples, and have them for tea with another meal. Have the leeks with your lunch casserole.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• hattie_pea
    hattie_pea Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    or bake the cabbage with apple. slice the apple and shred the cabbage, pop in a dish with some white wine vinegar and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Works especially well with red cabbage...be interested to hear if its nice with white
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cabbage and rice (half 'n' half) with strips of cooked ham and a one egg omelette also cut into strips on top = a sort of "Nasi Goreng". Lovely. I think its Indonesian? Usually eat it with some sort of chilli paste - but anything flavoursome will do - perhaps use the finely chopped apples mixed with a chutney?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure