We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

being charged for taking out own home ins

When I changed my mortgage three years ago ( to the Ipswitch bs)I declined there buildings and contents ins because of the high cost, so I stayed with the insurer I had been using. The Ipswitch after some protest from myself charged me £60!! for what they called administration costs. My question is, was this legal or a reasonable charge and can I claim part/all of it back? Thanks Paul.

Comments

  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    Yes it is quite legal for lenders to do this - they have to ensure that their asset is significantly covered for insurance. They will have addittional work to check that not just on completion but potentially every year when it is due for renewal.

    That said a lot of the bigger lenders normally charge £25 and you can often get this paid for by the insurer if you mention it.

    We are going into a claim culture explosion these days and whilst I think its good that consumers (and that includes me too) are becoming more aware of their rights and that we are always looking to save money in anyway possible it is quite legal for businesses to make a profit.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • I've no problem with companys making a reasonable profit, but £65 I think is taking the mick!!
    I also understand what you are saying about a claim culture but surely if people are being ripped off they have a right of address.
  • Noz
    Noz Posts: 3,869 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Well you can exhaust Ipswich BS's complaint procedure to see if they will refund the charge as the simplest solution, but as homer_j says the charge is quite simply legal.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.