PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Silicon coated paper vs greaseproof paper

Options
I have been finding it difficult lately to get hold of good old-fashioned greaseproof paper. The supermarkets all seem to be full of this new silicon coated baking paper that is twice the price for a fraction of the length.

Does anyone have any experience with this ? Does it have benefits that are worth the extra cost ?

I tend to line my baking tins with greaseproof and a spray of cooking oil and haven't had any problems with this over the years.

Thanks all.

Comments

• adsk
    adsk Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Silicone (baking) paper works really well. After baking the paper peels away really easiliy. It's a very long time since I've used greaseproof paper and greased it - I can't think of any reason to prefer using greaseproof paper (for baking at least).

You can often get baking paper in 20m rolls for a good price (usually 99p) in Aldi or Lidl - it's not a regular stock item but one of their weekly specials (obviously not many people bake in my town because they have them for weeks).
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a roll of re-useable liner sheet from Lakeland years ago, cut it to fit my cake tins and to fit the turntable in my combination microwave. just wash and dry after use, it's non stick. Can't remember what it cost but has been worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure