High Court.. Will I be there all day???

Options
Hi Everyone,

Here i go with yet another question..... Will I be at the court all day?
I plan to get there by 9.30am.

How i wish this experience was over!!

Thanks

Sweedart1:eek:

Comments

• owetoomuch
    owetoomuch Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately you will be, I got there at 9.30 yesterday, queued to pay fees when office opened at 10am, then queued to hand in forms and swear oath, finished about 11ish then got told to come back at 2.30 to see if it was granted, then sent to the OR office which is in Bloomsbury Square (near Holborn/TCR) at about 3.15 finally left there at 4.30 but got told I would be having a second interview either by phone or in person at a later date.
    Went BR 25th May 2007 at 12.33, OR Interview now done. :eek: BSC No 88
  • wherediditallgo
    wherediditallgo Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    You'll be hanging around the area for a fair bit of the day, put it that way. First you have to go to the payment office to hand over the money, then you need to submit your petition. You then need to go to at least one more office, before you're told to come back in the afternoon. When you go back, you'll be told to go to another office where you'll have to wait a while before collecting your BR order. At that point, you'll also be told to go to the OR's office in Bloomsbury Street that same afternoon to meet with the OR - you'll actually be seeing one of the OR's clerks not the OR himself, & the meeting will only be about 15 minutes purely to go over your SOA. You can expect to be in Holborn until about 3-4pm, & you'll probably still have a telephone/face-to-face interview with the OR to come at a later date. :)
  • owetoomuch
    owetoomuch Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    WDIAG does this mean that the person I met with yesterday was just a clerk and not the OR, I hope so, because she only went through my debts and kept on looking at her watch through all my answers.
    Went BR 25th May 2007 at 12.33, OR Interview now done. :eek: BSC No 88
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    owetoomuch wrote: »
    WDIAG does this mean that the person I met with yesterday was just a clerk and not the OR, I hope so, because she only went through my debts and kept on looking at her watch through all my answers.

Yes otm, the person you met was just a clerk. The OR office is approximately 2 miles away from the court, and they have no representation at the court.
    I appreciate that my situation was a bit different to yours, as I was being made bankrupt by HMRC, but after I was declared bankrupt I was told to contact the OR office, to see if they would see me then or make an appointment. The phone at the OR office was continually engaged, but eventually I got through and was given an appointment two weeks after my BR hearing.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • norserose
    norserose Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Damn, I got told by the lady at the court that I'd be done within an hour and a half - is that not likely then?!
  • allofadither
    allofadither Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    norserose wrote: »
    Damn, I got told by the lady at the court that I'd be done within an hour and a half - is that not likely then?!

Seems not if you go to the high court norserose...not quite so long at the local county courts though.
  • wherediditallgo
    Options
    owetoomuch wrote: »
    Yes, I thought it was the OR at first & I was thinking "Gosh, she's a bit young for such responsibility" :o :doh: It was only days later that I found out that she's just one of many administrators/clerks, who go through the form with you to make sure all the info that should be on it is there.
  • wherediditallgo
    Options
    Not a chance, unless no-one else turns up & they're trying for a British speed record. :) The paperwork I got from the High Court when I was first preparing to go BR says you should keep the whole day free for the proceedings, & they're right - by the time I was done, I was mentally drained & fit for nothing except going home.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Again slightly different circumstances, but my appointment was for 10.30 - I was advised to turn up at least half an hour early, which I did. I was in front of the judge at 10.33 and declared bankrupt at 10.36.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport