Credit Problems !!!!

Options
Hi,

I have many questions and was not sure which forum to post on but hopefully this one is right :-)
In 2003 I got into quite a bit of debt- I ended up going to a private company called Harrington Brooks who advised they could negotiate with all my debtors for a fee and sort out my debts- what followed was a year nightmare with me dealing directly with all the companies eventually and having 3defaults on my credit report.(Please anyone reading thsi do NOT ever use them!)
All these debts are cleared but I feel so trapped by my credit file-
1 I work in a bank and am not sure if i can change jobs as banks now credit check new employees. Someone advised me that they only credit check if you are bankrupt- can anyone shed some light on this? I am not so sure.
2 I incurred £2652 charges on my account during this time- I would like to claim this back but can;t open a parachute account as my credit rating is so bad. I found a posting on this website saying citibank accept people with bad credit history but even they refused!
3 I would lke to move flat but cannot move as all letting agencies credit check you nefore you become a tennent and feel I will never get a mortgage.

I feel like my life is just on pause until 5 years time when these defaults clear

In the past year my earnigns have increased doble to £40,000 yet and I have no more debt problems but I still am having so much hassle dealing with my financial past - sorry for ranting but I just feel so trapped - and I am out of debt!!!

Thanks for Listening/Reading

any advice would be a big help :-)

a xx

Comments

• k1mmie
    k1mmie Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ashesb wrote: »
    Hi,

I have many questions and was not sure which forum to post on but hopefully this one is right :-)
    In 2003 I got into quite a bit of debt- I ended up going to a private company called Harrington Brooks who advised they could negotiate with all my debtors for a fee and sort out my debts- what followed was a year nightmare with me dealing directly with all the companies eventually and having 3defaults on my credit report.(Please anyone reading thsi do NOT ever use them!)
    All these debts are cleared but I feel so trapped by my credit file-
    1 I work in a bank and am not sure if i can change jobs as banks now credit check new employees. Someone advised me that they only credit check if you are bankrupt- can anyone shed some light on this? I am not so sure.
    2 I incurred £2652 charges on my account during this time- I would like to claim this back but can;t open a parachute account as my credit rating is so bad. I found a posting on this website saying citibank accept people with bad credit history but even they refused!
    3 I would lke to move flat but cannot move as all letting agencies credit check you nefore you become a tennent and feel I will never get a mortgage.

I feel like my life is just on pause until 5 years time when these defaults clear

In the past year my earnigns have increased doble to £40,000 yet and I have no more debt problems but I still am having so much hassle dealing with my financial past - sorry for ranting but I just feel so trapped - and I am out of debt!!!

Thanks for Listening/Reading

any advice would be a big help :-)

a xx

Hi

Have you tried Natwest - they do a cashcard account. Just gives you a solo card. No cheque book or credit facilities, but great for getting on track again. They will probably say they recommend a current account, but just tell them you have had credit problems and they will credit check but will open this account for you regardless. It is like their next step down.

You can use it for DD/SO and online banking. So not too bad.

On the mortgage situation, it is possible nowadays regardless of credit history. SO don't feel down. Most of us have been there (or are still)!

You will need to use an adverse credit lender if the credit file is so bad, which means higher rates etc. however if you are desperate to get on the ladder t hey may be worth a try if you have the necessary deposit.

They will lock you in for 3 years on average - and if you want to get out before the penalties are high. But if you dont overstretch yourself financially and can sit tight for three years, you can get back on track with a main lender.

Hope some of this helps.

All the best.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll move this up to the DFW Board for help regarding your credit situation. If you want to reclaim your charges, read Martin's article and follow the step by step guide in there and check the Reclaim Help Thread which is linked in my signature.
  • johnmichael_2
    Options
    I'm a debt collector. You wouldn't beleive how many people are in your position. Firstly, the bank are very unlikely to close your account, secondly competiosn is very stong to lend money to people like you and thirdly time has a withering effect on your record, so provided that you don't get new problems, you'll be fine. Get on with your life and don't worry. Goood luck! Incidently house letting is a competitive market too. Everybody wants to do business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure