Housing benefit /LHA and Rates

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
7 replies 1.5K views
Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
4.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Does the new LHA benefit include rates or is it plus rates .
"Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"

Replies

  • tommietommie Forumite
    377 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Old_Git wrote: »
    Does the new LHA benefit include rates or is it plus rates .

    No mention of it here OG,
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/local-authority-staff/housing-benefit/claims-processing/local-housing-allowance/2011-changes/

    can`t you factor it into the rent if you know what i mean?!

    seems decent rates to me....

    The maximum weekly rates will be:
    • £250 for a one bedroom property
    • £290 for a two bedroom property
    • £340 for a three bedroom property
    • £400 for a four bedroom property
    I take it this is the craigavon house you bought?
    Prices well down there now, you reckon you`ll get a return on this?
  • edited 2 June 2013 at 7:38AM
    Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 June 2013 at 7:38AM
    tommie wrote: »
    No mention of it here OG,
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/local-authority-staff/housing-benefit/claims-processing/local-housing-allowance/2011-changes/

    can`t you factor it into the rent if you know what i mean?!

    seems decent rates to me....

    The maximum weekly rates will be:
    • £250 for a one bedroom property
    • £290 for a two bedroom property
    • £340 for a three bedroom property
    • £400 for a four bedroom property
    I take it this is the craigavon house you bought?
    Prices well down there now, you reckon you`ll get a return on this?
    Its not the house I bought recently .Someone has asked about renting my old house.The weekly rates for LHA you quoted do not apply to Northern Ireland .I am just trying to work out if rates are included in LHA or additional to LHA.I didnt particularly want housing benefit tenants ,but I was asked because their Landlord has not being paying his mortgage and the tenants are expecting 28 days notice anytime .This has already happened to two of their landlords houses.
    I would rather know what I am dealing with up front.

    http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/benefits/lha/current_lha_rates.htm
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • wifeforlifewifeforlife Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Old_Git wrote: »
    Its not the house I bought recently .Someone has asked about renting my old house.The weekly rates for LHA you quoted do not apply to Northern Ireland .I am just trying to work out if rates are included in LHA or additional to LHA.I didnt particularly want housing benefit tenants ,but I was asked because their Landlord has not being paying his mortgage and the tenants are expecting 28 days notice anytime .This has already happened to two of their landlords houses.
    I would rather know what I am dealing with up front.

    http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/benefits/lha/current_lha_rates.htm

    As far as I'm aware they are additional to LHA, hope it all works out
  • Trust me, unless it's a Mansion with it's own stables, swimming pool and gated entrance, you won't be getting £400/week for a 4 Bedroom house in Craigavon :rotfl::rotfl:
  • saverbuyersaverbuyer Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Craigavon LHA rates are,

    Shared Room rate per week, £36.28
    1 Bedroom rate per week, £68.33
    2 Bedroom rate per week, £82.86
    3 Bedroom rate per week, £88.16

    Rates info here,
    Private tenancies, tenancy agreements or statements of tenancy terms should specify who is responsible for paying the rates. It's essential that you know who is legally liable for paying rates on the property. If you're legally liable you should get the landlord's consent to make payments directly to Land & Property Services, to avoid any confusion.
    In most cases, rates will have to be paid by the tenant, as you are living in the property. However, rates are usually covered in the rent you have agreed to pay. The landlord should not ask you for additional payments to cover the rate bill.
    If the rates aren’t covered in your rent, the landlord must tell you this. Any additional amounts you will be required to pay towards the rates should be included in your statement of tenancy terms, as well as your rent book.
    In certain circumstances you may not have to pay rates if you are renting privately. For example, if your full rent is paid for you through housing benefit, then your rates may also be included in your housing benefit entitlement.
    If your landlord receives rate relief, the law says this discount must be passed on to you. You will be contacted by Land & Property Services if your landlord is getting discounted rates. It is up to you to agree a new level of payment to your landlord.
    Not all private tenants are responsible for paying rates. The landlord who owns the rented accommodation is liable to pay rates if:
    • the NAV of the property does not exceed £750;
    • the capital value of the property does not exceed £55,000;
    • the rent is collected at intervals shorter than quarterly or the tenancy agreement does not provide when the rent is payable –AND either the NAV is under £1,590 or the capital value is under £150,000;
    • separate parts of the property are let out as apartments or lodgings;
    • the property is in multiple occupation (e.g. accommodation shared between 3 or more non-family members).
    Even if your landlord is liable to pay rates under these criteria, s/he may not have to do so if you agreed and signed a contract or a tenancy agreement that makes you responsible for the payment.

    In some circumstances, the landlord may be able to recover the amount paid from the tenant. If you’re not sure of your rights in this situation, seek specialist housing advice.

    If you believe that your landlord should be paying for the rates, but is charging you instead, seek help from an advice agency in your area.
    I don't know where the owner is

    Private tenants don’t always know where their landlord lives.
    Land & Property Services can only force you to pay the rates if you are legally responsible for paying rates on the property.
    4 Bedroom rate per week, £95.65
  • Where can you find these rates? Is there a website that its actually clear on?
  • saverbuyersaverbuyer Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Beechleigh wrote: »
    Where can you find these rates? Is there a website that its actually clear on?


    Here

    http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/benefits/lha/current_lha_rates.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals