PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help, what to feed a 3 year old with mouth ulcers

Options
My 3 year old complained that his tongue hurt and wouldn't eat, two days later it is covered in ulcers. I took him to the doctor who said it's not much they can do but suggest bonjela and the ulcers will disappear by them self within a week. He has not eaten much for the last couple of days and I'm running out of ideas what to give him. He still have lots of ulcers and most food hurt his mouth.

For the last couple of days I've been feeding him, Jelly, youghurt, mouse, mashed bananas but he is getting bored and wants something else

I tried to pure the food we eat and feed him. He didn't like it cold and cant eat it warm. I tried luke warm tomato soup but it might have been to acid cos that didn't go down well.
I'm running out of ideas....
Has anyone got similar experience and got any suggestions. Please

Comments

• mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never had this problem but would it help having soup through a straw? Or maybe smoothies through a straw so he is getting some yoghurt and fruit down him?
    Does he like custard, the sweetness of it might tempt him and at least theres milk in it?
    Rice pudding?

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some more suggestions.

Awe bless him it must be painful I hope he's feeling better soon and good luck with the food.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to get them a lot, things that made them hurt a lot were spicy, salty, acidic or sugary stuff.

Soft bread in a soup like chicken, I leave it to go soggy in the soup (not tomato that hurts) this is usually ok. Pasta either plain or with cheese or something. Smoothies but make sure nothing too acidic. Rice if he'll eat it maybe.

Make sure he's drinking plenty even if he's not wanting to eat much.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have along, with other dental problems, mouth ulcers at the moment and find mashed potatoes go down well also scambled eggs. Ice cream is very soothing. Also lots of cold water to drink. Poor mite hope he feels better soon! (((hugs)))
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    catznine wrote: »
    I have along, with other dental problems, mouth ulcers at the moment and find mashed potatoes go down well also scambled eggs. Ice cream is very soothing. Also lots of cold water to drink. Poor mite hope he feels better soon! (((hugs)))
    Some good suggestions here, mashed potato can be used to add other foods also such as veg or protein, add some cheese or swede to the mash and use milk to loosen the texture further, eggs can also be added it's easier if you just use the yolk though and add it once already mashed and mash it a little further, you can use cream if you think it will help nutritionally depending on what other products your child is consuming. Ice cream again can be made more tolerable by stirring it to a soft peak consistency as this takes the edge of the cold a little too, again puree some fruit and add to rice pudding, macaroni pudding slides down easily for a child with a sore throat and very sustaining. Then sit back make the right noises when necessary and look forward to the day you hear the words "Mum can I have a bag of crisps please?"
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • icefall
    icefall Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My son got them last year a couple of times, you can get a tube of ointment from the chemist that puts a protective cover on them (helped him to eat then) and heals them quicker. I am sorry I cannot remember the name. But a pharmicist would help.

My son was 14 at the time, so I do not know if it is suitable for a 3 year old.

Hope he gets better soon hon.
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
  • ChasingButterflies
    Options
    Hi there,

Just a quick thought - how about some complan? He could drink through a straw, it is light and easy to take however has lots of goodness in it.

Personal favourite is strawberry - although you can get chocolate and vanilla flavours too!

Hope little one gets better soon!
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    Help, what to feed a 3 year old with mouth ulcers

To be blunt though I don't really think you should be feeding your child mouth ulcers in the first place.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: But any of the above suggestions should go with them on a plate.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport