lodger problems

Options
2»

Comments

• alannadrama
    alannadrama Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    He can't say in your house any longer than you want him to and that's the bottom line.

If you want him out regardless, tell him that you no longer require a lodger and he is required to move out by the 1st July.

If you want him to stay because you still need the money, tell him from the 1st July, the rent is going up by £25 a week. Then he can make his own decision to stay or not - you will either end up with more money or him gone and you can find someone else.

It sounds like he's really taking advantage and I think you've left it too late for him to change his ways. You will be able to fill the room in no time so I would recommend you get rid of him. I think he's just causing you unnecessary stress which is ridiculous in your own home.
  • tuttifruiti20
    Options
    I would definitely say to cut your losses, offer one months notice, return any deposit as required, then post a new advert on the site, raise the rent and put down some gentle but firm rules when a new housemate moves in.

Also draw up a contract and be clear on where you stand otherwise your tenant could leave in the night, the day the rent is due, and you'll be able to do nothing, especially if you don't take a deposit.
  • Listerbelle
    Listerbelle Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My husband was once in a similar situation. He decided that he could cope with the situation if the income was worth it, so he doubled the lodger's rent, with notice etc. The lodger left on good terms.
    Your biggest asset is TIME! I'm focused on multi-generational financial freedom.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Doesn't seem worth it to me....your saying its nice having the extra income but then saying he is costing you to much. Just as a guess he is using an extra £200 in bills out of £320? Is the extra £120 worth it?

You could always get someone else in, set a firm contract ..and start over once he is gone.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • gothrockchic1
    gothrockchic1 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have been a lodger and paid the same as he does. I can see from his side that the utility bills are being paid so why should he be frugal? When I was lodging I brought toilet paper and cleaning stuff. So I agree on loo roll to hide it and when you run out you have your own stash!

I also a living arrangement that meant my landlady could have her space in the living room and we could take it in turns. I think this guy is disrespecting your house but you need to be strong and hand him his notice.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd let him stay to the end of July but get him to sign something saying he will move out then, maybe ask a solicitor for help? Also say that from June he shouldn't need electric heating on, although the electric blanket won't cost much.

buy loo roll at the cheapest place so he buys his own.

just use it as a learning experience!! good luck!
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We did it for 4 years, and it worked well, although we did know the family of the girl that stayed with us (she lived on the floor above us, when we lived in Russia, and helped with our (then really young) children whilst we were working/studying). I also drove her and her younger sister to school most mornings, so we knew her long before she came.

I'd give him a months notice the rent is rising by £150/month, and you may get him to leave on friendly terms.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • love_lifer
    love_lifer Posts: 743 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for taking time to respond. I thought about all the points and texted him to say i'm raising the rent by £100 on 1st July. He texted back to say I will leave on the anniversary date as that is not acceptable. Think august is the year anniversary. So best result I think. just a few months of Mr mean then he'll be gone.

Yep I definitely will draw up a contract next time, and not be so soft and unassertive. This hasn't been an awful experience- I know of worse- but more and more I've avoided him I realise and no, that's not good in your own house. When he first came he talked endlessly about his wife who'd recently left him, I listened out of politeness but it was wearing. I now completely get why she did it.

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport