ORs letter asking for face to face interview

Options
NewStartGoneWrong
NewStartGoneWrong Posts: 65 Forumite
edited 31 May 2013 at 6:03AM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Hi

I went BR in early April...One of my friends went BR a few days later, my BR is going ok but hers is well a bit :eek: nothing like mine....

Her OR has sent her a letter asking her to attend for a face to face interview at there office :eek:

She fully expects to have a BRO/U given to her from day one of BR as she went BR previously in August 2008 and then again in April 2013 with debts of £14k.

She suffers from BiPolar and part of her debts were catalogue debts and one for a sofa which she never paid any payments on...she did not have any utility debts, just Brighthouse:eek: but these were up to date till 2 weeks before her BR date and then she returned the goods to them a few days after her BR date.

I'm thinking that the OR is after her for for paying some creditors over others....and a BRO/U is in the offing.

She has phoned them up to see why they wish to see her and was told she would have to explain what she had spent the money on re catalogues etc....she bought clothes for herself but also 2 DVD players a portable DVD player an Tefal Acti Fry and some footwear for her grown up children which she gave as Christmas presents:eek:

This was all done during a phase where her Bi Polar was in full daft spending mode...she has since had her family take control of her finances and they deal with bills etc and she is having help from the local Community Mental Health Team and has now been given a new Community Psychiatric Nurse who is more supportive than the last one and she asked to change her psychiatrist which she has also done and these two changes are good as they are more effective in dealing with her BiPolar than the previous people.

The letter states that if she does not attend the interview date she could be publicly examined in court:eek: she has now gone into full worry mode but I think this is just part of the initial letter stating what could happen if she does not attend the interview which she is doing.

So am I right in my thinking that this will be an interview to find out about favouring one creditor over another or could it be more sinister, I know when she applied for the credit for the sofa etc she was honest re her income as it shows it on the copy HP agreement she has etc.

Sorry for the rambling post...I was just wondering if perhaps someone else had been asked to attend an interview like this and could say what might be in the offing.

Thanks for any help

Just edited to ask if she could actually be in legal trouble over this, ie taking credit when she knew it would be difficult to pay back etc

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    On that account it is possible they might consider a BRO/U.

Can't really see where you think she was favouring one creditor over another, except perhaps regarding trivial things or things you just have to pay like utilities.

Even where there is quite a bit of spending with no reasonable expectation it being paid back, or favouring one creditor over another, I would only expect a short to medium term BRO/U at the very worst.

For anything more you really have to try harder. i.e. pay relatives/business partners a LOT of money leaving your other creditors high and dry; or taking out very large amounts of credit and wasting it on non essential no domestic stuff in a cynical and deliberate fashion. So deliberate cynical actions designed from the outset to deprive or disadvantage creditors, or benefit someone connected to you.

Not really something like this.

I presume she has some medical evidence she can take with her that will help explain?

They are likely to ask tough questions but in the end I think, possible BRO/U apart, it will not be a big deal.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure