We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

When Can I get a new deal?

My mortgage fixed rate (4.29%) is due to finish on 1st Sept 07. Obviously my payments are going to go up quite a lot. Could I agree a new fixed rate now either with my bank or a different one or would I have to wait until nearer the time?? I amjust worried that interest rates are going to rise again by then!!

Thanks

Comments

  • MuDvAyNeX
    MuDvAyNeX Posts: 48 Forumite
    There are some companies that will offer you a new deal within 3 months of the tie in, give your lender a call and ask if they offer this :)

    They will waive the ERC as long as you stay with them, well at least they should do.
  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    rothers798 wrote: »
    My mortgage fixed rate (4.29%) is due to finish on 1st Sept 07. Obviously my payments are going to go up quite a lot. Could I agree a new fixed rate now either with my bank or a different one or would I have to wait until nearer the time?? I amjust worried that interest rates are going to rise again by then!!

    Thanks

    Start looking and comparing now.

    Lenders will make their offer to you that will last for six months.

    Of you found your deal now with another lender, you could instruct your solicitor not to complete until after the 1st September.

    Post your details for us to look at.

    Property value, Loan size, income/s, adverse history, etc.

    JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • Spangled
    Spangled Posts: 193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    Rothers, I'm in the same boat. I'm tied into my current mortgage with £6k of ERCs until 30 Sep 2007. So I went to a fee-free broker and have secured a mortgage offer with Coventry BS, valid for six months (free legals and valuation). I received papers from Coventry's appointed solicitors and on one of the forms they ask when is the earliest date I want to complete. I just put down 1 Oct 2007. I also secured the mortgage just before the rate rise earlier this month. Also, the upfront booking fee on this is only £200 so if rates were to drop before 1 Oct 2007 (highly unlikely, I know) then I could easily pull out and source a new deal.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.