R40 refund delay

Options
miller
miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
I am dealing with an R40 refund (tax on savings and investments) for someone.

HMRC wrote stating they are awaiting pay and tax details from a Prudential annuity.

A P60 has been sent, but not to HMRC as Prudential now use Real Time Information (RTI) every time a payment is made.

Has anyone else experienced delays as a result of this?

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Why not cut out the middleman and simply send HMRC the P60 your friend received, this should enable them to deal with the refund irrespective of whatever they waiting for from Prudential.
  • nomunnofun
    nomunnofun Posts: 841 Forumite
    Options
    Unless Prudential were on some kind of pilot, RTI did not commence until this tax year - 2013/14 will be the first year that P14 forms (HMRC copy of P60) will not be sent.

The deadline for submitting details for 2012/13 was last week - perhaps HMRC now has these details?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Don't know about Prudential but RTI has been going for about a year now

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/end-of-year/tasks.htm
  • miller
    Options
    The letter received from Prudential implied that they would be providing no more details to HMRC (electronic or otherwise) other than that provided with the annual annuity payment made last year which was done through RTI.

Having looked at the link Dazed and confused provided they need to provide an Employer Payment Summary (EPS) which I believe, will then trigger the R40 refund (as there was no payment in the last period).

It is incredibly difficult trying to debug an opaque process between two organisations!
  • miller
    Options
    Why not cut out the middleman and simply send HMRC the P60 your friend received, this should enable them to deal with the refund irrespective of whatever they waiting for from Prudential.

A good suggestion, I have done this in the distant past when I have been on PAYE waiting for a refund.

I think they need the original as well not a copy?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    miller wrote: »
    A good suggestion, I have done this in the distant past when I have been on PAYE waiting for a refund.

I think they need the original as well not a copy?

Yes, it's as easy to send the original and keep a copy yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure