Went Bump (BR) and went pretty smooth.

Options
Well went BR this week and it went pretty smooth well just about.Due to no appointment system I turned up and waited for my turn only to be told sorry short staffed so no go today :mad: I then ranted and explained I had taken a day off work and had telephoned the previous afternoon.In the end they relented and did the deed for me.
OR rang me today to ask some basic questions and was spot on even suggesting I go back to court and get the judge to delete my address and occupation off the petition as it would help me ( Im a police officer)( I duly did and the judge was fine).
Have a face to face interview next Friday but not too worried as the lady was really nice on the phone and stated that she would just be working through my SOA.
Work are fully aware what has happened and have been great about it as I have followed their policy to the letter.
Only blip has been the HP company re my car,I phoned them to state I had gone BR and could they arrange collection of my vehicle the nerd on the other end stated this could take a few weeks and in the meantime I was responsible re the car should anything happen to it I explained that i had to transfer my insurance over to an old banger that I have been given and so the car was left on the road but the guy was adamant that any damage and they would bill me top price for repairs.

On the main im pretty relieved and looking forward to the future.Thanks to those on here who have given great advice.

Comments

• Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi inamess,

Reading your post should be quite a relief for some people because the general consensus seemed to be that Police Officers had to resign if they were declared bankrupt.

Does is depend on the policy of the force you're with rather than a more general rule?

Pleased that everything went o.k for you, with the exception of the car that is.

Best regards

Richard
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    It did used to be the case that 'police' and BR was a no no. :(

However, from the posts on other forums I have read, and some official info somewhere this is no longer the case.

Considering that BR is a legal way to deal with a desperate situation, then the bods in charge at the police penalising this would be scandalous.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • in_a_mess_5
    in_a_mess_5 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    With regards to the policy this is a force policy however the guidelines are set by ACPO.Its pretty straightforward really and just means that you inform your line manager at the earliest opportunity who then writes a report about you and states if there are any integrity issues etc,providing you are open and honest and are taking positive steps to sort your situation then it would be harsh for the force to chastise you.Remember we (the old bill) are suppose to represent a cross section of scociety (honest cross section obviously).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure