PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! Label says do not freeze

Options
Afternoon OS'ers :wave:

I'm hoping you can help me. I bought a few yellow stickered things from the supermarket yesterday and didn't look at the packaging carefully - 2 x 175g prawns and 2 mini WW quiches, I thought I'd be able to freeze them no probs as the dates are quite short 27 & 30 May.

The packaging on the prawns says do not freeze but I'm sure I've done this before. They are cooked and peeled prawns and I'd only want to use them in salads, toppings for spuds/sandwiches etc. The quiche does not say you can or cannot freeze so am guessing you can't.

Is it safe to just freeze them and hope for the best?
Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Littlemiss-lotsofdebt,

If the packaging on the prawns says do not freeze, then I wouldn't. The chances are that they have been frozen before and freezing them twice really is a no no and you could end up with a bad case of food poisoning.

Usually packaging only says not to freeze when the product has been previously frozen at some stage during preparation before it hits the shelf or the product is something that will deteriorate when frozen.

If the quiche does not mention freezing then I'd take my chances. Homemade quiche freezes well and assuming the ingredients in it are ok to freeze then it should be fine.

Pink
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    I'd second that :)
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Prawns no, when it says don't I'd stick to it!

Quiche unsure, doubt it's previously been frozen as they don't usually, if you can't use them in meals soon maybe chance it but 'nose test' before eating them.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • 1012donna
    1012donna Posts: 11,517 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work for Asda when I was at school and college and their fesh prawns were always previously frozen so I wouldn't re-freeze them.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club Member No. 68
  • Littlemiss-lotsofdebt
    Options
    Thanks guys, anyone for prawns for breakfast? :rotfl:
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    Could you cook them in a curry then freeze:confused:

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Littlemiss-lotsofdebt
    Options
    Well, I don't have to worry about eating the prawns by tomorrow. OH has gone fishing and taken most of one pack for bait!!! :rolleyes: Just made a prawn salad for lunch and the rest OH can have in a sandwich tomorrow.

Thanks everyone :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure