PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How much royal icing to cover a 14" cake?

Options
How much royal icing do I need to make to cover a 14" cake (4.5" high)? Anyone got any good recipes/techniques for "fool proof" royal icing? What's the minimum length of time for it to set. Asking a lot I know, but my previous experiences of royal icing have not been easy. Of course may be someone has an alternative icing you could recommend for a similar effect? Don't like buying the ready to roll stuff since it is packed full of hydrogenated veg fats, tastes revolting and never ever seems to harden anyway.

Thanks

Comments

• Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    What about trying the stuff you can roll out? If you are going to try this, then i would buy regalice brand rather than tesco/asda/supercook brand. i really find regalice the best.

As a guide - i covered a 10 inch square cake and a 7 inch square cake this week and i bought a 2.5kg pack of the icing (£6.50) and i had just enough.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can do inside and top of a 7" cake with 300g of easy ice, so possibly around that. You can make it rollable by adding extra sugar but it's a faff, a friend of mine makes her own 'roll out' icing doing that.

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/recipes/all-recipes.htm#ROYAL%20ICINGS Icing ideas, didn't know there was so many ways to make it!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there
    If you do decide to use royal icing...dont forget to add some glycerine (you can get it from most supermarkets)otherwise you will never cut through it :-)
    My mum used to make wedding/celebration cakes...but we have been to a wedding before where their cake maker hadnt put glycerine in the icing and the end they had to take the cakes of the boards and dig the cake out from underneath !!!
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport