I wanna buy and do..... My own gel nails!

Options
So i love having my nails done at the salon, but I can't afford to go very often so its a rare treat these days. It was fine when I didn't care about money, but these days I can't justify the cost of £20-£25 per session.

My salon used Harmony Gelish Nail System. Been looking at buying a home starter kit to try and do it myself.

Any suggestions, advice or "keep away" comments?? And any ideas where to buy the cheapest starter kits??

Thanks in advance :D
Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350

Comments

• rachel90
    rachel90 Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I bought a kit from eBay for around £50, have used it maybe 6 times so far. It is "the edge nails" which I researched before buying and they seemed quite good. It came with 2 colours and a clear but you can buy other colours.
    It is so easy to use, really clear instructions.
    Let me know if you have any questions x
  • CountingPennies
    CountingPennies Posts: 1,893 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ohh thanks for that. Never heard of "edge" nails. Will have a look. Thanks for your help. x

• simple_but_sweet
    Options
    nail harmony are (AFAIK) one of the best brands. When I went to a local beautician that's what she used too. I've since bought a LED lamp from ebay (cost £50) and bought my polishes from there too. I know alot of people don't recommend them, and don't get me wrong they won't last as long as harmony polishes but the ones i bought last time were £2 per bottle from china (they're in a pink bottle and are called wild east or something).
    Main thing is that there are 2 different types of lamps a gel and an led lamp. Gel lamps usually have a cure time of 3 minutes per coat and the led have a cure time of 30sec-1min.

As i said, don't expect them to last as long as they would do in the salon but in the long run i've saved a small fortune!

Hope this helps :)
  • MrsPBikerChick
    Options
    I bought one of the Sensationail kits from boots for my birthday last year and I'm very pleased with it. I haven't tried it with any other brands of colour "polish" but I know a coupleofpeople who have and had good results. My nails typically last 2 weeks if I'm reasonably careful with them and sometimes I don't bother with colour - just the plain clear gel as a sort of protective layer on my nails. Makes normal polish last longer if I paint it over the clear gel too.

I do find it can be a bit of a pain to remove but wrapping my nails in foil helps. Only down side is they'll only look as good as you are at painting your nails!

I think some of the well known deal sites (am I allowed to mention them on here?) often have offers for full kits too.
    I don't like chick flicks, I get grazed knuckles doing my own car repairs and I ride a massive cruiser motorbike. To many this makes me a bloke in disguise but to my husband this makes me perfect
    :A
  • Shelia_2
    Options
    I bought a kit from !!!!!!!!!!.
    you can try.
    I think it is very economical.
  • Shelia_2
    Options
    I bought a kit from chinabuy.
    you can try.
  • Shelia_2
    Options
    I bought a kit from tmart.com.
    you can try.
  • Shelia_2
    Options
    I bought a kit from !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    you can try.
  • CountingPennies
    CountingPennies Posts: 1,893 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hmmm.... spam i think!

• lei_armstrong
    lei_armstrong Posts: 391 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 June 2013 at 12:14PM
    Options
    I've got the Red Carpet Manicure Professional LED kit which I got from QVC (LED sets the varnish much faster then UV and isn't as harmful). It's fantastic and so easy to use - I've done both my own finger/toe nails plus all my friends and it lasts so long my nails usually grow out before they chip! Here's the links:

https://www.redcarpetmanicure.co.uk/kits
    http://www.qvcuk.com/Red-Carpet-Manicure-Gel-Nail-Set-With-LED-Lamp.product.400430.html?sc=400430-DRIL&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-8-_-400430#BVQAWidgetID
    http://www.qvcuk.com/Red-Carpet-Manicure-Gel-Polish-Kit-With-LED-Lamp.product.400344.html?refType=UPSELL-X-SELL&refNumber=400430&sc=400344-DTLR&cm_sp=UPSELL-_-INTELLIGENTOFFER-_-1&relType=INTELLIGENTOFFER&refLocation=1

Also if you use Sally's or have one nearby they stock the products if you prefer to pick varnish colours, etc in person...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure