Are the CO-OP about to say no ?

Options
Hi All,

I made an application last week for the basic CO-OP Cashminder account as most recommended on these threads. I was advised to call back in 5-7 days time for a progress report, which i have just done.

The operator told asked the security questions etc and then said that the application had been cancelled and if i hold the line she would find out more.

After a few minutes she returned, asking more security questions and then told me that she could not say any more or give any details other than the CO-OP Bank have written to me.

Any one come across this situation before?

If it is declined who else would be my best option for applying and trying to get a basic account?

Thanks,

Chimaera
BR - late January 2007

Early Discharge - early August 2007 (6 months 2 days)

Comments

• Red1708
    Red1708 Posts: 843 Forumite
    Options
    hiya

I havent heard of this but it would appear as if it is likely. You should be able to apply for a basic account with Barclays and Nationwide too.
    BSC Member 59 - AD 29th March 2008

• savagevixen
    savagevixen Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    Options
    On Wedsnesday night, I online applied for the Nationwide Flex Account. This morning I received the paperwork to sign, having been formally offered the account!!! It only has a cashcard but hey, it's an account with online banking!!
    I have the Co-op, but wanted the Nationwide, as withdrawals are free abroad!
    :starmod: I am not that savage :heartpuls But I am a Vixen :staradmin
  • NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have heard of people being turned down for the co-op account, but not sure why. Annoying, but I guess you'll have to wait for the letter.
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • wherediditallgo
    wherediditallgo Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    Someone else here was turned down for a Cashminder account, & when they queried it they were told it wasn't because they were BR. I suggest that anyone who is turned down get their credit file checked - these accounts are recommended for BRs & if the Co-op are told you're BR then your credit file isn't supposed to be checked for anything other than possible fraud & we don't have many account choices as it is :(.

I suspect some applicants aren't telling them they're BR - I know one of my friends didn't & got turned down because her credit file is bad. When she got her letter turning her down, she rang them & told them she was going BR. They said they'd re-assess her application after she went BR provided she gave them a copy of the BR order. She did that, & got her account last week. :) I can understand why people might not want to say they're BR (embarrassment, etc), but there's no point in not saying it - your BR status requires you to reveal that you're BR when looking for new banking facilities, plus by not saying anything you could be making it take longer for your application to be processed.
  • chimaera_2
    chimaera_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    First thing i said to them was that i was a un-discharged BR, and they said that this is the right account for me.

I will get hold of a copy of my credit file and see if there is anything wrong there.

This afternoon i spoke to the OR office and the Woolwich (were i had a account before BR) and the OR is writing a letter saying they have no interest in the account and the woolwich have said as long as i provide this letter they will reinstate my account with them. So its fingers crossed for that route.

Thank you all for your help.

Have a great bank holiday weekend.

Chimaera
    BR - late January 2007

Early Discharge - early August 2007 (6 months 2 days)
  • savagevixen
    savagevixen Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    Options
    They told me categorically several times that they only turned people down if they suspected fraud. This included not being on the electoral register.
    :starmod: I am not that savage :heartpuls But I am a Vixen :staradmin
  • moyilla
    moyilla Posts: 1,834 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

I applied for a CO-OP account too and was turned down. I was told that it was nothing to do with being bankrupt.

Before I applied I told the operater that my OR reccommended them as I was an undischarged bankrupt.

I have written a letter to them and I am awaiting a reply to confirm what the reason was.

I do have a Nationwide account with on-line banking and the option for as many e-savings as you like.

Hope that helps.

When I get a reply I will update my original post.
  • moyilla
    moyilla Posts: 1,834 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning,

Just thought I would let you know that I rang CO-OP last night for an update and they said my appeal was successful, an account has been opened!

In the post this morning arrived my card and a letter to say welcome!!

So please do write to them and explain you can prove your identity etc, it's worth it!!

Good luck!!
  • Tiggy23
    Tiggy23 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    try the halifax cardcash account.
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tiggy, the Halifax don't accept bankrupts.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills