Selling silver - Manchester

Hi guys, I'm having a sort out and have loads of silver jewellery I don't wear much so I though I might get a bit of cash for it. There's some cash for gold type places in manchester but haven't seen anywhere that buys silver. I'm a bit embarrassed to ask do places even buy silver? I had a look online but it just seemed to come back with websites to post to whereas I want to actually physically go in.

So...anyone know of any places in manchester that buy silver? And is it even worth it? Don't know how much it weighs but can anyone give me a rough idea of what I'd get for say a plain silver ring?

Comments

• gemgemz
    gemgemz Posts: 17 Forumite
    Most places that buy gold buy silver too. It's not worth anything close to the value of gold, as there is so much of it available, and they don't value or buy as individual pieces; it's all based on overall weight. Each shop may differ with what the minimum weight of silver they will take and usually vary slightly on their prices, so it's worth going to a few and getting a quote. Also, often, pawning prices are better than selling prices, and you don't HAVE to redeem your pawned items, so that might be worth checking out too. The money shop currently pay around 25p per gram for silver and have a minimum value that they will buy as opposed to weight, the value for them being a fiver, so approx 20grams in weight. I used to work in such a shop, "do you buy silver/how much is this worth?" are questions the staff are used to answering, and don't think twice about being asked, so don't feel embarrassed. It's just recycling items you don't use and getting a few quid for them as a bonus.
    Hope this helps
    Gem
  • Really helpful thanks gemgemz
  • TTC40
    TTC40 Posts: 1,056 Forumite
    on line with hatton garden metals. I know you said you wanted to go to a store but I would recommend these.

I've used them several times - great service & pay out quickly.

Today's price will be quoted on their website.

TBH you will get very little for one ring.
  • Thanks will have a look online but the thing that puts me off is the hassle if its not worth enough to sell, I haven't a clue if its worth 50p or £50. I've got a fair bit including some chunky solid silver bracelets - the price of a ring was just to give me a rough idea of how much I have in total.
  • TTC40
    TTC40 Posts: 1,056 Forumite
    You are probably looking at a couple of £ for a ring.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Scrap silver's about 30-35p/1 gram at the moment, as a clue.
  • musmar
    musmar Posts: 12 Forumite
    You won't get much for it, don't sell it if you don't need to
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    See if you have any local selling sites and sell them as they are rather than scrap.

Or set a selling group up your self on facebook. Its so easy.

We have half a dozen selling/auction groups, just local people, cost absolutely nothing, like Ebay but without any fees.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Update

I tried a local pawn/jeweller in the city centre. They offered me £30 pound for the lot. I was tempted but the staff talked me out of it! They said some of my items were too nice to sell and I should sell them individually on eBay or a car boot. As some of you already suggested! So I'm going to pull my finger out and do that, aiming to make £50 so it will seem worthwhile!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure